Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need some suggestions on restructuring this page

• Please log in to reply

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
Hey guys, been a while!

After I got my website up and running, i got recruited as a web developer! Couldnt have done it without you guys! (My website thread)

So heres my new problem :

I have been trying to restructure the CSS on this page so that it is understandable on FF, IE6 and IE7. It looks fine on IE7, it can be understood on IE6 but on FF its completely messed up.

Anyone any idea of where to start on fixing this?

The website can be viewed on the following page : The website

Thanks guys.

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Just what do you want to do with the CSS? It passes validation ok so Firefox and other browsers ought to be able to handle not discounting their individual quirks (IE :)). You do need a charset meta tag on the pages.

No Character encoding declared at document level

No character encoding information was found within the document, either in an HTML meta element or an XML declaration. It is often recommended to declare the character encoding in the document itself, especially if there is a chance that the document will be read from or saved to disk, CD, etc.

See this tutorial on character encoding for techniques and explanations.

Tidy did hiccup on this:

Result: 0 errors / 4 warnings

line 225 column 469 - Warning: '<' + '/' + letter not allowed here
line 11 column 1 - Warning: <input> ID "__VIEWSTATE" uses XML ID syntax
line 82 column 13 - Warning: <a> attribute "href" lacks value
line 200 column 67 - Warning: <a> escaping malformed URI reference

Malformed URI refers to your email link. Where you have to have spaces, use "%20" (without quotes) for everyspace.

The JS used must have all closing tags delimited: "<\/div>"

Rest are self explanatory.

Edited by Major Payne, 20 April 2009 - 02:36 PM.

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
ahh see the major problem is when you look at it in firefox, it gets rendered funny..text missing etc. It was coded for IE7 so it has a lot of hacks in that mess up firefox. I need it to be undertstandable on firefox, IE6 and perfect on IE7

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
First try putting the character encoding that you want to use as you are making browsers fall back to the user's default encoding and you may be seeing something different than what I'm seeing. I do see the differences in text layout between FF and IE. Welcome to the What the Heck's with IE Club.

Edited by Major Payne, 20 April 2009 - 02:48 PM.