Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot log in to a website

• Please log in to reply

Rickles

Rickles

• PipPipPip
  • 629 posts
Hi,
After switching on the computer and as I normally do I went to Ships Nostalgia website. I logged in as usual but when I clicked to go onto another section all I got was an advert.

I tries re-accessing the site through different Search sites but the same thing happened.

I did notice that on the bottom toolbar and just before the ad came up:

ad.zanx.com

I don't know if it's me or the website so I double checked the Antivirus programs and they showed nothing. All my other Favourites were accessed with no problems.

I then ran Super Anti Spy Ware (?) and all it came up with was:

Adware Tracking Cookie which was found in the Files section of Super Anti Spy Ware

but as I had not cleaned up as I usualy do after getting off the Internet I would expect something to turn up.

The computer on the whole is working just fine with the exception of accessing Ships Nostalgia. I have emailed another member of SN to see if anyone else is having the problem.

Regards

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It appears you may have a malware problem.
Please go to the "Malware Forum" link in my signature below and follow the instructions at the top
Especially the "You Must Read This Before Posting A HijackThis Log".

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself.
If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty start a topic and post the requested logs in THAT forum.
Once the malware technicians have cleared out any infection and given you a clean bill of health, and if the problem continues then feel free to post back here and we can investigate the problem even more.

Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here

Edited by rshaffer61, 20 April 2009 - 08:23 AM.

Rickles

Rickles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts
Hi,

Good news is that all my logs are clear.

As per instructions I started to clean up and I noticed this folder that I have not seen before:

ca4525dd237f2342b896e7

Inside which are these two folders:

amd64

i386

I did not open any further and I did not delete them either.

Help!

Regards

Edited by Rickles, 26 April 2009 - 12:03 AM.

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Rickles,

Do you have the MVPS Hosts File installed?

Rickles

Rickles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts
Hi tuxmaster,

I cannot see it anywhere and I tried Search in all modes.

Regards

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
They are related to Windows updates

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
What is the URL of the website you are trying to go to?

Rickles

Rickles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts
Hi Both,

1/
If they are Windows updates I shall leave them alone?

2/
"What is the URL of the website you are trying to go to? "

Sorry I do not understand as I was not going to any particular web site. I just found the folder after getting rid of a virus and cleaning up.

Regards

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
yes don't touch the folder

Rickles

Rickles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts
Hi Rorschach112,

I will not touch it but earlier this evening when I ejected a dvd I got an error message see photo attached.

Regards

Attached Thumbnails

• untitled.jpg

Advertisements

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts

Hi,
After switching on the computer and as I normally do I went to Ships Nostalgia website. I logged in as usual but when I clicked to go onto another section all I got was an advert.

I tries re-accessing the site through different Search sites but the same thing happened.

:)

Is this issue resolved?

Edited by tuxmaster, 27 April 2009 - 09:18 PM.

Rickles

Rickles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts
Hi,

The basic issue is finished however the latest posts refer to the problems I have had since cleaning up from the virus removal and I thought that they may be related which is why I came back here.

From the first post I made:

"Once the malware technicians have cleared out any infection and given you a clean bill of health, and if the problem continues then feel free to post back here and we can investigate the problem even more. "

Regards

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
OK I wanted to make sure that that issue is taken care of I like to work on one issue at a time.

As for your issue with DVD. What dvd did you eject?

Rickles

Rickles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts
Hi tuxmaster,

The same message pops up no matter what dvd or cd or brand I eject.

The same message also appears no matter which way I eject them, button on the computer, right clicking or from My Computer.

This has only just started to happen, just after the clean up from the previous virus

Dvds and cds are a mixture of backups of this computer, photos, music and websites.

Regards

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
I have a feeling that the error is cased by Disk drive. Lets remove the program to see if it makes a differance.

• Click on start.
  • Click on control Panel.
  • Click on add/remove Programs.
  • Click on Disk Drive.
  • Click remove.
  • Reboot.

Let me know if you still get the error.