Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I've ruined everything....

• Please log in to reply

Exanything

Exanything

• Pip
  • 6 posts
My computer was running SO slow for weeks. I couldn't do anything, videos wouldn't play from the internet or my hard drive, games and sound were so choppy it was impossible to play or listen. I couldn't figure out what was wrong, so I formatted my hard drive and did a fresh install of XP and now nothing works.... I can't connect to the internet, game programs don't even load, nothing can go into full screen, I only have two resolution options AND things are still choppy and I feel miserable... I don't know what's wrong and I don't know what to do. I need that laptop for school and if I can't conect to the internet I'm screwed. Nevermind the fact that I have no money to buy a new ANYTHING... can someone please talk to me and tell me how to get everything back to normal?.... I think I'm gonna cry... :)

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hello welcome to GeeksToGo, We will be happy to help you.

We will need some more information

Make
Model
Operating System
Age of the computer
Memory Total
Hard Drive Size, How much free space

Did you use the recovery cd that came with the laptop when you bought it? If no then I will try to assist you with the supplied information from above. :)

Exanything

Exanything

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
It's a Dell Inspiron 1501
It's about 2 years old
I use Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 2
It has about 898MB RAM
It's supposed to have a 60GB hard drive with about 57GB left

And I used the Windows XP disc that came with it and that's all I used.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go HERE for all the drivers that were originally installed for your laptop. Once installed then please go Here and get all the updates from Microsoft which means do all the express and custom. Be ready to spend some time as you will most likely have allot to get. Please let me know what progress you are making or if there are any questions you may need answered.

Edited by rshaffer61, 20 April 2009 - 12:29 PM.

Exanything

Exanything

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I did what you said and everything seems to be working just fine! Thank you SO much, I couldn't have done it without you!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Congratualtions for a successful resolution to your problem and You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. Thank you for allowing me to assist you with your issue and your patience. Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help.
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible