Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cd-R/RW Drive

• Please log in to reply

gymmygabe

gymmygabe

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I can't get my drive to open or eject the Cd! What's up with this thing?
GThanks,
Gymmygabe

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sounds like it's time to replace it. Is it powering up or making a noise when you try to use it?
When did it start doing this and how old is it?

gymmygabe

gymmygabe

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for getting back to me. It has a cd insde the drive and it sounds like it usually does and shows itself on my computer screen but i just can't eject it. This thing is 6 years old ( ancient ).
Once again, thanks for the help!
Gymmygabe

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If it won't open take a paper clip folded out and there is a hole in the front of the drive. It's a small hole, just stick the paper clip through it and push. The drawer will pop open but you will have to open it manually the rest of the way. This is usually the first sign that the mechanics on the drive are failing. I would suggest replacing it asap and if not keep a paperclip handy. :)
If you would like some assistance in finding a replacement let me know and I can suggest a couple of sites for you with links to drives. New drives are not expensive now and depending on if its for a desktop or laptop. I will be happy to assist in locating a replacement for you if you wish. Let me know