Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE converts www to ftp?

• Please log in to reply

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
Hello:

A Windows XP Pro (32 bit) PC decided it didn't want to connect to the Internet any more. Through testing, we discvored something pretty bizare; you CAN access secured pages. It's the unsecured pages we can't get to.

I checked the DNS settings, IE6 security settings, reset the browser to the default settings, reinstalled IE6, upgraded to IE7, and RESET IE7. Still, we can not get this computer to connect to the Internet.

When opening a page, the browser tries for a good while and then the blank page appears asking if you'd like to diagnose the connection problem so I did that. When it finished, it displayed a report in the browser window. The address IE was trying to get to was the www.msn page, but the report showed we were trying to connect to FTP.msn and that just blowes my mind. We have disabled FTP in the firewall so I know we can't make those kinds of connections. I'm OK with that, I just can't figure out why IE is converting the www to ftp. Strange.

As it stands, it's an XP Pro maching running IE7 with the default settings and we can only connect to secured (https:) sites.

Any and all information you can provide will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Magus

Advertisements