Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

video card instalation

• Please log in to reply

fixerup

fixerup

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
okay i need to get this rig up and running for my gf hopefully by tomorrow and i'm stuck. her computers specs are asus m2n mobo, wd sata hd, and a dvd burner, also 2gb ddr2 patriot ram pc 5400or something like that.

the video card is the problem she has been using a nvidia 7600gs for quite a while now but its not performing the best in some the the games she plays and she would like to turn up the graphics some. so i gave her my gts 250 that i recently bought. i installed it and booted up the computer everything seemed normal i installed the graphics drivers and rebooted. when the computer booted it made it to the windows logo screen with the progress bar and when it went to load windows bame bsod. did this every time it restarted. so i updated the gpu driver and the bios and the chipset. still the same problem. swaped out the ram and the power supply same problem. put the old card back in works fine.

i'm kinda stuck as you can see and i would like to have her comp up and runnin soon any help would be appreciated and speedy if possible :)

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Put the new card in and reboot. When the second black screen appears start tapping F8. This will bring up the boot menu screen. Scroll down using the kb arrows till you highlight the option that says
Disable Automatic reboot on error. Click enter. then allow it to proceed booting. If it doesn't then reboot it. When it gets to the blue screen it will stop and allot you to write down the complete roor message. Post with that info in your next reply and we will continue from there.

fixerup

fixerup

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
thanks for the quick reply the error is as follows. windows has encountered an error.............MEMORY MANAGEMENT then goes on with the typical if youve experienced this before blah blah blah then the technical stuff says stop: 0x0000001a (0x0004128b, 0x003a201, 0x00000000, 0xc0883000)

Edited by fixerup, 20 April 2009 - 04:57 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
This memory error could mean bad memory. Lets do a memory test and see if it shows up.

Let's check your memory and make sure there is no issue with it.Donwload memtest86 from the link in my signature below.

Get the file that is named Download - The one you want is "Download - Pre-compiled Bootable ISO (.zip). When it downloads, it will be labeled "memtest86+2.11.iso.zip"
Unzip the file once you download it. You should have a .iso file in the unzipped directory.

if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files get burncdcc in my signature below.

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start BurnCDCC
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its memtest86.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

Make sure the bios is set for the cd drive as the first boot device
Put the cd in the cd drive and then boot your computer.

Running the Diagnostic Program:

The basic diagnostic screen has five main sections of relevant information. Three at the top which are labeled, PASS %, TEST %, and TEST #. This will basically show you the total progress of the current test, the overall progress of the diagnostic test, and the test number is currently performing.

On the middle left hand side of the of the program interface there is a “Wall Time” section that will keep track of how long the diagnostic test has been running for. This just gives you an idea if you are not attending the testing process.

The main section to look for is the lower half of the screen which is usually blank. As long as the memory testing is going ok with no errors this section of the screen should remain blank. If the diagnostic program finds any serious faults in the memory you will see it display a memory dump of address’s in this section. This is similar to what is displayed on your screen when you encounter a blue screen of death.

You now have most everything you need to know about setting up and testing your memory with diagnostic programs. This guide should help you get to the source of any intermittent problems related to your memory.

Run memtest for at least 2 hours
If it starts showing any errors during that time then you will have to replace the memory
If there are no errors after 2 hours press Esc and that will end the tests
We will then try other options

fixerup

fixerup

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
i can run a mem test if so desired but i switched out the memory with KNOWN working memory and it still didnt work

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It could be video memory also. Please run memtest86 and that will let us know. Also is the video originally onboard and you added a card? Did you go into bios and disable onboard? This could be causing a conflict

Edited by rshaffer61, 20 April 2009 - 06:12 PM.

fixerup

fixerup

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
i did a mem test for a lil over an hour every thing was passing ok but then it froze i'm not sure what that means but there were no errors just the freeze up???? so what should i do now

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ok so it froze running memtest. That means we're dealing with a hardware issue and not software.
Put the old card back in and boot into windows. When you get there

Let's do some basic maintenance

Download ATF from my signature below
Install it to your desktop
Click to run the program >> Click Run
Select all and click
Empty Selected

Go to
Start>>My Computer>>Right Click On 'C" drive>>Properties
Click on Tools tab at the top
In the Error Checking field click Check Now

when that is done
In Defragmentation field click Defragment Now

Reboot and let me know how system is running now

fixerup

fixerup

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
reboot with the old or new card?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Put old card back in since you know that will boot up correctly.

fixerup

fixerup

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
okay i did all that the system seems to running bout the same but the old card is in there so that should be expected

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thank you, now please follow instructions from post 8. Let me know what the results are and we can continue from that point.

fixerup

fixerup

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
i did all the clean up and stuff but didnt change anything that i noticed......since i have a new headache (computer problem) i'm abandoning this one and just getting rid of the new card.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thank you for the update. I am sorry we couldn't find a solution for your issue. Please ask if you have any further questions and I will be happy to help if I can. :)