Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

STARTUP PROBLEMS

• Please log in to reply

statelawdog

statelawdog

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have suffered an interesting problem. After booting up all the programs listed to start are opened with notepad. If I start in safemode there isnt a problem. I have run Spybot Search & Destroy, Lavasoft SE, Microsoft Spyware, Norton Anti-Virus and Registery Mechanic. I see nothing obvious when I look at the tabs on msconfig. Any Suggestions?

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
don't follow you....what do you mean they open with notepad?

what happens when they "open"

statelawdog

statelawdog

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
If this is repost my aploigies, as the machine boots each program, ie, Norton, Windows Spyware, programs that remain resident, a notpad page opens for each program with nothing but giberish on the notepad page. When I try to open any program: Word, a game, etcl, a Notepad page opens with nothing but symbols on the page.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
this is when YOU load a program, or when WINDOWS loads a program?

statelawdog

statelawdog

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Both, however in safemode programs load ok

pmprogrammer

pmprogrammer

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have seen the exact same problem on a computer today, except that instead of using Notepad to open programs (.exe's), Windows XP is using Adobe Reader (acrord32.exe). I did not try safe mode.

When I tried to run regedit (Start, Run - typed in 'regedit') guess what happened? Adobe popped up trying to load 'regedit.exe'. Same with any .exe - Adobe has become associated as the application to use to open .exe's.

Looking in 'Folder Options' I do not see an entry for '.EXE' listed - which makes sense, because EXE's don't require a program to open them - they ARE the programs.

I thought about uninstalling Adobe, but then worried that might really cause problems...How do we fix this little problem?