Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer randomly shutting down

• Please log in to reply

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
I meant the software for the video card.

When you uninstalled the driver, the driver is gone. We need to retrieve the actual driver from the internet or if you have a disk for the driver.

Basically, right now you have a generic driver, which is why your screen looks weird. Once we get the actual software installed, it will be fine and ready to go!

Here is the download link for the driver you need!

Make sure this gets installed on the troubled PC. After the install, restart your computer, then please tell me the results.

Advertisements

webangel

webangel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
the link didn't work.
thanks
cheryl

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
Try this page

Navigate to the bottom of the page and in the area: Enter Code From Image, enter the code and press download file.

webangel

webangel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Jay,
I downloaded it and then restarted the computer and it started up fine. Do you think that was the problem? That I needed to download this. Again thank you for all your time and patience.

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
Possibly. Post back to this thread in the future if you have any more problems with it.

I think that your video card driver was corrupt, and signaled the shutdown often.

It should be fine now...look in device manager and see the state. Double click on the video card in device manager. If you see the text "This device is working properly." Then you are fixed on that note!

webangel

webangel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Jay,
That didn't fix it. It's not shutting down but I tried to play a game and it froze on me. A screen popped up then it told me it was going to shut down. When I cut the computer back on there was an exclamation point over the NVDIA again. It said the code was 43. I did a search on that and got nothing that I could decipher. So I guess that didn't fix the problem. Any other suggestions? :)

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
Corrupted Video Card.

I recommend to continue with the replacement of your video card!

Whenever your game freezes, then an exclamation mark appears, it means the device is faulty.

webangel

webangel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
jay,
May I bother you one more time please? :) I currently hav the NVIDIA GeForce 8300 GS. I found 2 that I could afford. Do you have an opinion on which one I should get. I am not a gamer so I don't need anything flashy. 1. NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT 1 GB DDR 2 PCI. 2. NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS 512 MB DDR 2 PCI. I think both are compatible with my computer. Also if the driver is bad will this cause my computer to run hot. I was going to ask you all this yesterday but it shut down before I could reply.. Thank you so much for all your help.
Cheryl

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
Here is my problem report for you

Tech issue: Random shutdowns and corrupt video card.

Detected Problem: Video card will freeze or dysfunction, causing the computer to shutdown.

Trial: Tried to reinstall graphic driver.

SOLUTION: A new video card is recommended. The current one is corrupt.

Recommendation
If you are an
Extreme Gamer: 9500 GT

If you are a
Basic Gamer: 8400 GS
(All depends on the memory and speed of the card).