Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New wireless card but no connection

• Please log in to reply

repieces

repieces

• Pip
  • 2 posts
All,
First off, let me say that I do not have alot of computer knowledge. I can't get technical, but I can tell you a little bit about what is going on with my connection. Anyhow, I moved into a house with 3 others and they had a wireless router set up and running. I installed a Cisco Aironet 350 series PCI wireless card in my desktop (Dell 4600) back in 2001 and when I turned my computer on, it had no issue connecting to the internet. After playing games online, I noticed that I was getting alot of lag and I asked one of my roomates why we didn't have a password on our wireless network and he said it was because our router was so old that it was not possible. So anyhow, I had a Linksys G router from my previous residence and we decided to replace the old router with that one. Well, since we wanted our security to be a little better than WEP, we decided to move up to WPA-PSK.

Well, needless to say, everyone elses computer and my laptop computer has no issue connecting to our secured network, but my desktop does. The Cisco card was so old and outdated that I couldn't even select WPA security......so I bought a new card (Encore 802.11g wireless PCI adapter model ENLWI-G2) for about $15 that would support the security. After this was installed, I had connection but the internet was very, very slow.....and my computer would freeze periodically for 10 seconds or so. Now, it won't even connect at all. It shows our network as "excellent" signal strength but fails to connect for some reason.

I'm thinking that my Encore wireless card is the reason why I am having issues.....or is it something else, because I can connect to the internet on my laptop when I'm only 5' away from my desktop and the internet is very fast. If this does sound like a wireless card issue, then what card do y'all reccommend? I know it's probably best if I just hard wire my desktop to the router, but due to my location in the house, it's not possible. Let me know what y'all think. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by repieces, 20 April 2009 - 08:00 PM.

Advertisements

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
Hi. What operating system are you running?

Are you currently running the wireless device driver for the device or are you allowing the operating system to run it for you?

it looks like your settings might be reseted because you changed cards.

Edited by DragonMaster Jay, 20 April 2009 - 08:44 PM.

repieces

repieces

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Hi. What operating system are you running?
Windows XP

Are you currently running the wireless device driver for the device or are you allowing the operating system to run it for you?
Not sure how I check this. The network adapter for this card (Realtek RTL8185 54M) is shown in the Device Manager...

it looks like your settings might be reseted because you changed cards.

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
In your system tray at the bottom right of the screen, you may see a network icon.

Is this a Windows managed connection or do you have another application managing it?

The image attached shows what the Windows XP wireless configuration. If you do not have this, then you have another application managing it.

Attached Thumbnails

• winXPwireless.png