Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I want to build a high end computer. Money is not a problem

• Please log in to reply

aquevedo831

aquevedo831

• PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
Hello,
I am interested in building a new computer with some of the newest technology out there right now. Money is not really a factor in this equation. However, I do not want something insane that will not be put to good use.
The main uses of this computer will be for college homework. I am working on my computer engineering degree so the most intense software that will be running on this computer would be something like AutoCAD or Autodesk Inventor and other misc. engineering software and microsoft office. I also love multimedia and love to use Corel Painter X on my free time. I am a media lover so something that can play the latest HD content would be a plus. It doesn't necessarily need a blu ray drive since I have a blu ray player but something that can play HD video would be great. I do not play games on my computer. I use my ps3 and xbox 360 for that matter. I do not need a fancy lcd monitor because I have a 1080p hd projector. I would however like to use this computer as a server for media files and other things when not in use. Currently I use tversity as my media server for my home and i love it. If it could contain some of the latest technology I would prefer that it did. Even though not necessary, I would also like to have it lit up and have a liquid cooling system even if not necessary. Right now I am starting off with an XG Viper 2 case. I also forgot to add, I would like to run a dual boot system with windows vista ultimate and windows 7

I pulled up this barebone kit. What do you think?

http://www.tigerdire...mp;Sku=B69-1054

Edited by aquevedo831, 20 April 2009 - 10:16 PM.

Advertisements

diazed

diazed

Spammer

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
removed comment

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Welcome to Geeks to go,

My name is Cbarnard

I hope I may be of some assistance to you...

Well for the most part looking over what you have, it is Nice.

This is what I would do you would come out with a better unit in the end.

DVD burner I would get two...

Antec 1200 case

Samsung 1 tb hdd these are what I use, and you will be able to speed up things having 2 hdds

PNY 9800 video card for autocad

Corsair 850

Corsair ram

Asus mobo

Core I7 920 excellent selection, it overclocks very well and you can have speeds close to the 965 I7 when your are done at a 3rd of the cost.

Vista ultimate 64 bit

All in all this build today would cost $1670.40 USD and that is before rebates...

I hope some of my ideas help you out...

Good Luck

Cbarnard

Edited by cbarnard, 21 April 2009 - 08:57 AM.

aquevedo831

aquevedo831

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
Is there a big difference between the Intel i7 920 and the i7 extreme edition? I hope to have this build up and running by the end of June. I would appreciate anyone else's suggestions. I want to get just the right parts.

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Is there a big difference between the Intel i7 920 and the i7 extreme edition? I hope to have this build up and running by the end of June.

There is a very big difference between them almost $800

You started in your first post that you wanted a computer that was at the top of its game, but would be utilized well... If you spend the money on the 965 I7 you will be paying a lot more money to get almost the same performance that you can get from an OC'd 920 I7

There have been a lot of builds and reviews on this. For what you are looking for the 920 will do a VERY nice job...

I can't tell you what to do, (I'm not trying to)

I just wanted you to understand that you could spend alot less to accomplish almost the same thing.

Being a Computer engineering student, you can work with the 920 OCing it. Instead of just building the 965 and leaving it, you can learn a lot more that way.

I know you said money wasn't a factor. For the work your looking at I don't think it warrants the extra $800

(just my opinion)

This all just comes down to personal preference.

If you would like any other information, or assistance I would be glad to help.

Cbarnard

aquevedo831

aquevedo831

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
I appreciate everyone's help. I will follow your advice. Thanks

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
No problem,

I'm glad we were able to help you.

If you ever need any more assistance we will be glad to help.

Good Luck

Cbarnard

aquevedo831

aquevedo831

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
One last thing.
I will not need this computer till august. So do yall recommend building it now or waiting till this summer to start? Will there be something better by then or will these parts listed be ok for a while

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
You could wait till summer to purchase and build.

There won't be much new stuff coming out in this amount of time.

But you may gain one thing and that is more money in your pocket. (Maybe)

I have built several systems for people, and only 1 month afterward I could build it for about 150 less

But that is not to say the prices could go up...

I would say that is your call..

Good Luck

Cbarnard

aquevedo831

aquevedo831

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
Ok. Thanks