Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CAN SOMEBODY HELP ME WITH THIS LAG?!?!?!

• Please log in to reply

Llamanator

Llamanator

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Heeeeeey.

Ok, so this is how it goes.

So I was at a LAN party once. I accidently pulled out my power plug from the extension cable. :)
Comp shuts down (obvi), then i try to reboot it, nothing happens. I let it sit there for about 30 minutes, then i try to boot it up again ,and it boots up. Now, the comp is the slowest POS ever. Like, performance is soo bad its horrible (i ran warcraft III on the lowest settings and i got about 15-40 fps.)
So i formatted comp, reinstalled vista. never been the same as it used to be. Its a lot better now, but it still lags a lot for some reason.
For example, this game (dota) usually takes me 6 seconds to load in the loading screen, now it takes me 10 (its a big difference FYI).
So if any1 knows how to fix this horrible lag, please tell me, ILL DO ANYTHING.

Advertisements

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
For starters, let's try the Vista Big 3 Diagnostic Tools (my term for them :)

1 - go to Start and type in "perfmon /report" (without the quotes) and press Enter
Let the report run while checking the next 2 items.
When it's done, let us know about any issues that it may have found.

2 - go to Start and type in "compmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter
First, click on the + sign next to Reliability and Performance (to expand that category)
Next, click on the + sign next to Monitoring Tools (to expand that category)
Then click on Reliability Monitor
Let us know about any errors mentioned there.

3 - in the same window as the step above, click the + sign next to Event Viewer (to expand that category)
Next, click on the + sign next to Windows Logs (to expand that category)
Then check both the Application and System log files for errors .
Let us know what you find.

Edited by usasma, 21 April 2009 - 07:03 AM.

Llamanator

Llamanator

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
1. All the Basic System Checks passed, and Resource Overview were normal or idle. Thats a good thing, right?

2. Under that window, no failures are showing. Again, thats a good thing right?

3. HUUUR ERRORS UNDER APPLICATIONS. :) Theres a whole different type of errors.... so are there any specific type I am looking for....?
Also, errors under System logs. Any specific type u looking for?

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
1 - yep, that's a good thing!

2 - this is also a good thing.

3 - ahh, it seems we've found something. I prefer to start with the System logfiles, as the effects of system level errors is more far-reaching that errors involving applications.

Let's have you upload a list of the most recent errors in the System log file (the more that you save, the larger the file will be).
To do this, go to the System log file of Event Viewer and left click once on the first error you want to include. Then hold down the Ctrl key and left click on each of the other errors that you want to include. Once you've selected them all, right click on the highlighted entries and select "Save selected events...".

You'll then be prompted to give it a name, select a name (and make sure you know where it's being saved - mine saves to the Documents folder). Then click on "Save" to save it. Check the size of the file to make sure that it complies with the upload limits, then upload this file with your next post and we'll see what it contains.

Llamanator

Llamanator

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
OOOMMMMMFFFFGGGGG MY COMP IS NOW F*****
Ok so i went into system log files, and started clicking all the errors. then i decided, this is taking way too long. so, i then sorted the list by type (idea was to make clicking errors easier).

So i do that, then i get blue screened. WHOOO. Comp shuts down, and now my comp keeps restarting and occasionally get blue screened. i force shut down, and now wen i turn on comp, i dont even get a screen anymore. Any ideas?

Wuts worse i cantr send u the list of application arrors that i saved :).
ALL THIS NEVER SHOULD HAVE HAPPENED BECUZ OF A [bleep] COMP UNPLUG

Llamanator

Llamanator

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Ok so now my comp is booting up, but when i see my desktop for a split second, I get blue screened. Not good.
So imma go repair vista or format it. Siiiigh.......