Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help for a wierd problem, apps/programs will not load

• Please log in to reply

PHKing

PHKing

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi my name is Steven and I am a new user. I tried reading some of the guides so as to follow the forum rules but I am having some really wierd issues. I am not new to computing and even built the system I am using now and having problems with, so I (hopefully) can follow any instructions without any difficulty.

I will give you as much info as possible because I am not sure what will help you. My system is a Pentium dual CPU [email protected]. I have 2 gigs of ram, a 1 gig video card, onboard HD sound and a 250 gig HD (sata). The pc has been running fine for over three months. Then two/three weeks ago I noticed my linkscanner for AVG stopped working @ Google through Firefox. Didn't work through IE either. Today however I noticed it started working again. The computer was fine, then at around 12 am-ish I left to drive my bro-in-law to work and rebooted before I did.

I got back to find an error screen for avg on my desktop, along with one for PunkBuster. At that point any internet app, Firefox, IE etc would not load, I would get an error everytime. The computer would also not load, spybot, window washer, nor anything such as Adobe reader.

I can access my HD, including my networked removable, I can play any games, and I can access text files. MP3's with also work. The only way I can get online (which I am doing now) is by 'tricking' the problem and using my windows explorer as IE. The problem with that is it only works on some links. I noticed for instance that when I clicked on the Malware Removal Guide link at the top of the forum it gave me an IE error. It creates logs for these problems in doc/settings/local/temp etc. etc. but they dont stay there?? Really wierd. What I have been able to do was quickly copy and paste some to blank text files and save them elsewhere.

I can usually solve these problems on my own, especially considering I can get online, albeit crippled some, but this one has me baffled. I tried using combo fix and it gave me a runtime 216 error, I ran Microsoft Malicious Removal tool and it came up empty. I am not sure what to do from here.

My schedule is kinda screwy, I live in Mass. and am typically awake from 2-3 p.m. to 6-7 a.m. So now it is 6:14 and its time for bed. I appreciate any help that someone can provide and will do my best to be patient, although this pc is my baby and my whole world LMAO (Is that sad or what!!??) I am willing if I have to, to reformat and start fresh but I would rather not have to.

Anyways thanks again very much and take care,
Steven P.S. I am not sure if it is because of the microsoft tool or what, but my explorer listing has changed order and added some stuff I dont remember seeing?

Advertisements

PHKing

PHKing

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi I am replying to my own problem. Somehow, I am not sure yet if it is/was a virus, I am still researching it, my date got changed to something like year 16509. So anyways thanks for the forum, and I will keep coming back and see if I can maybe help someone else. Thanks again, Steven