Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

A few problems with an external harddrive

• Please log in to reply

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Try going into cmd and typing in
chkdsk G: /r
Windows may ask to check the disc after a reboot. Say yes, but be prepared to wait a couple of hours. This can be a lengthy process. Do not interrupt this process, or you risk the integrity of the drive.

Advertisements

Lucky Dearly

Lucky Dearly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
ok brb with the results

Lucky Dearly

Lucky Dearly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
sorry for double posting but so far it's stopped on step 4 finding a couple of bad clusters in a couple of zip files I had on the drive and it replaced them, I'm unsure if I should close it now or wait till it closes by itself first

Lucky Dearly

Lucky Dearly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
okay the scan finished earlier this morning, I rebooted the computer and the external drive and now the drive doesn't show up at all

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Well lets see if Windows is causing the problem or is the issue hardware related.
Click on "Backup files Without Windows" in my sig, and follow the instructions. There is no need to backup your data though. Just make sure that Ubuntu can "see" and read from your external drive.

Lucky Dearly

Lucky Dearly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Okay but it has been making alot of clicking noises and wheezing like sounds so I suspect it might be the drive itself

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Okay but it has been making alot of clicking noises and wheezing like sounds so I suspect it might be the drive itself

Thank you for bringing that to my attention.
Go to here: http://seagate.custk...f...&NewLang=en
Download and install.

Then run the diagnostic to see if anything is physically wrong with the drive. I suggest you backup your important files right NOW, in case the drive fails.

Lucky Dearly

Lucky Dearly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
will do

Lucky Dearly

Lucky Dearly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
I already have seatools downloaded on my computer and it won't detect the drive still (it keeps giving me the same error message I posted earlier)

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

I already have seatools downloaded on my computer and it won't detect the drive still (it keeps giving me the same error message I posted earlier)

Sorry about that, I forgot. Try getting access to the drive from Ubuntu.
Click on "Backup Files Without Windows" in my sig.

Advertisements

Lucky Dearly

Lucky Dearly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
okay, I'll try it later on

Lucky Dearly

Lucky Dearly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
my external harddrive reappeared on my computer but it's being registered as RAW not as NTFS

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Can you read from it? Make a backup of everything important while you can. This may indicate that the problem to start with was file system corruption.

Lucky Dearly

Lucky Dearly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
couldn't make one, it was at 0 GB of both free space and used space, it also went out on me again earlier

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
It appears that your drive is failing. How long have you had this drive? If you have some data that you need to recover, a professional company will be able to help you out.
http://www.dtidata.com/
The clicking sounds you were describing indicate a problem with the physical read heads on your hd.

If you are going to buy another drive I suggest going with either Western Digital, Seagate, or Maxtor. (out of the 3 I prefer Western Digital)
All three of those companies make good quality drives.

Your hd was a Phillips MD2000 186 GB USB external drive. I never knew that Philips made hard drives. :)