Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Widescreen monitor everything is distorted

• Please log in to reply

ScottAz

ScottAz

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
My wife bought me an ACER X223W widescreen monitor and everything I look at is distorted. It is stretched side to side and squatted down which makes it a little difficult to enjoy the experience of a larger monitor.

There is no information explaining how to eliminate that look with the monitor.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott

Windows 2000
1 gig Ram
IE7
Dell 450 Precision

Advertisements

Oreo Collas

Oreo Collas

• PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
Hello ScottAz

Welcome to G2G! My name is Oreo Collas and I'll be helping today. Please be sure that you print or copy all of the instructions to a document on your desktop as many of the directions may require you to log into Safe Mode or unhook your internet connection.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Please make sure to read through all the directions and make sure that you understand them completly before doing any thing. If there is something that you do not unsderstand then let me know and I will elaborate. Skipping steps, working out of order, or working ahead of the directions may cause undesireable results.

We will need some more information
If this is a name brand system:
Make
Model
Operating System
Age of the computer
Memory Total
Hard Drive Size, How much free space

If this is custom then We will need the following:
The CPU brand and model
The Motherboard brand and model
Ram amount and speed
Cd\Dvd rom interface IDE/ SATA
Hard Drive size and free space
Any cards in PCI slots
Any software installed\updated and driver updates done just before problem started

All this will help in determining a course of action to best correct the problem you are experiencing.

You need to right click your desktop, go to properties, select the display tab, and make sure you have the proper resolution set for your monitor.

Edited by Oreo Collas, 22 April 2009 - 11:31 AM.

ScottAz

ScottAz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
Make: Dell
Model: Precision 450
Operating System: Windows 2000
Age of the computer: 5-6 years
Memory Total: 1 gig
Hard Drive Size, How much free space: 76 gig 86%

I looked on the Acer web site for drivers that I could download for the xx223w monitor and it does not show drivers available for windows 2000.

I set my screen resolution to 1680 x 1050 and that solved the scrunched icons and text.

Everyting is tiny, very hard to read when I type a reply here or looking at the toolbars, all the icons and tools are very small.

Thanks in advance.

Scott

ScottAz

ScottAz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
Attached is an image of the toolbar size.

I would like to make it larger if that is possible?

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled_1.gif

Oreo Collas

Oreo Collas

• PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

You need to right click your desktop, go to properties, select the display tab, and make sure you have the proper resolution set for your monitor.

Did you try this?

ScottAz

ScottAz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
yes

ScottAz

ScottAz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
Okay well it seems that ACER customer support sucks. I have emailed them 3 times and no replay.

Does anyone have any idea if there are downloadable drivers for the ACER X223W widescreen monitor that are compatable with windows 2000 and if so where would I find them?

Thanks in advance,
Scott

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
ScottAz,

Due to the age of windows 2000. There may not be any drivers created for it. You can try the XP drivers but those may or may not work.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Hi ScottAZ,

Well, I'm not there in person looking at the monitor, but I agree it could be a driver problem. However, I have noticed many times when I have watched my parents (non-widescreen) T.V. for a few days in a row, and then went back to my LCD HDTV that the picture always looked exactly like you described,

It is stretched side to side and squatted down

I believe that is the look of "widescreen". But again, I'm not actually there looking at your monitor. In my experience, you will get used to it. Another thing to try is demand a new one because you are not happy with the picture, and see if the new one does the same thing.

I set my screen resolution to 1680 x 1050 and that solved the scrunched icons and text.

The higher you set the screen resolution the smaller everything is going to look. However, (and this may only work on XP and up, not sure) Try Right Clicking anywhere on your desktop > Select Properties > Click on the Appearance Tab > In the Bar for Font Size, select Extra Large Fonts, (or large Fonts). Then, in that same window, Click on the Effects Button, and make sure Large Icons has a check mark next to it. Be sure to click on apply, and then OK. Again, you may not have these options in 2000, I'm not sure. Hope that helps!

Edited by Ferrari, 28 April 2009 - 07:26 PM.

ScottAz

ScottAz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
Well It seems to me that the drivers should be available for the monitor especially when it is advertised as compatable.

I am getting use to the look, not sure that I like it but then again it's not all that big a deal.

Thanks everyone for helping.

Scott