Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No more folder options?

• Please log in to reply

jemessica

jemessica

• Pip
  • 2 posts
So, I've obviously got some virus going on...But it seems to have disabled my folder options, so I can't view hidden files. The virus has something to do with Thunmail and there are .exe files running that I can't end in the task manager. A few are 'testadb.exe' and 'radAB7B9.tmp.exe'. It won't let me end process. I tried searching for the Thunmail folder and found it, but I can't delete it because those files are running and I can't stop them.

I have Spybot and it seems to be stopping it every time it tries to do something by remembering my choice to deny, and I'm not getting pop-ups or anything, but files are popping up in my Temp folder and no matter how many times I delete them, more keep popping up. And some of them are even in my task manager and I can't stop them.

I can't do a format because I'm one of those bad people who have never backed up their files, and I don't have an external HDD to back up on. I was thinking about doing a system restore to last week, as I'm pretty sure I know the virus was contracted last night.

Spybot, Hijackthis and AVG can't seem to delete the virus.

Any advice?

Advertisements

jemessica

jemessica

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I thought I fixed it, but I guess not....

I found a way to make a folderoptions.reg and then open it and re-enable the folder options so I could see hidden folders...

Then I went into Safe Mode and searched Thunmail and deleted it, which was possible because none of the files were running. Then I searched and deleted tdctxte, sopidkc, afosocx and reader_s. These are all things that were running when I went to msconfig but couldn't be deleted from the task manager.

But now I'm still getting these Spybot popups where I denied something...and in the task manager there are these tasks coming up that are just numbers, and then when I go to the folder they are in to delete them, I can't.

I should also add that it keeps disabling my folder options after I re-enable them, and disables the ability to edit the registry. I know how to fix that, but it keeps turning it back to disabled.

Edited by jemessica, 21 April 2009 - 02:02 PM.