Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

acer labtop

• Please log in to reply

paradien

paradien

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
hi i got a acer laptop running vista 32 and its running like crap, all i know is on xp. The symptoms i got is a random shut down on boot up the first time, after a while u can get to the desktop but u can not access the web or run certain programs like the wireless internet process. I can access task manger but its limited , some process or task manager its self wont shut down. Deleting is mostly out of the question and running installs has ended with failure, i need help bad any thoughts?

Advertisements

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
I'd first suggest that you get an opinion on a possible infection from the anti-malware folks (here: http://www.geekstogo...emoval-f37.html )

Once you're sure that you're clean, try using the Vista Big 3 troubleshooting tools:

1 - go to Start and type in "perfmon /report" (without the quotes) and press Enter
Let the report run while checking the next 2 items.
When it's done, let us know about any issues that it may have found.

2 - go to Start and type in "compmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter
First, click on the + sign next to Reliability and Performance (to expand that category)
Next, click on the + sign next to Monitoring Tools (to expand that category)
Then click on Reliability Monitor
Let us know about any errors mentioned there.

3 - in the same window as the step above, click the + sign next to Event Viewer (to expand that category)
Next, click on the + sign next to Windows Logs (to expand that category)
Then check both the Application and System log files for errors around the time that the problem occurred.
Let us know what you find.