Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

dvd/cd burner

• Please log in to reply

john god

john god

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 460 posts
I do have one more question.
I think I have 2 bays. I haven't open up the case,
but I have the 1 bay where my cd/ rom drive is and a spot on the case that is blank.
Should that be where the other bay and drive would go?
Also ,how do I set the master and slave?
Would the bay where the cd/rom drive is now be the master?
Would the blank spot on the case where I install the new drive be the slave?
Thank-You
John

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes the blank bay is where second drive will be. Normally try to put master above the slave drive as it will make the connecting of the ribbon much easier in the following steps.
To set the master\slave settings, on the back of each drive there will be a jumper. These can be white, yellow, or black. Also there will be a diagram of some sort on the back or the top\bottom of drive telling which jumper setting is for master and which is for slave.
Just place the jumper for each drive on the correct setting. One will be set for master and the other for slave.
When you connect the ribbon to them the master has to be at the end of the ribbon and the slave will be on the center connector. the other end will go to the motherboard. They are keyed so that the connector will only fit one way on mb and on the drives.
For future reference the red striped side of the ribbon will always be closest to the power connector on the drives.
I hope this answers your questions clearly. If not please ask and I will explain. :)

john god

john god

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 460 posts
Once again thank-you for your quick reply.
Now I will go and see where I can purchase these drives at a resonable price.
John

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are very welcome. Please keep us updated how your search goes and if there is anything else I can help with. When you do purchase the drives let us know how they work for you or if you need assistance with installing them.

john god

john god

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 460 posts
I was thinking about another way of doing this.
I would like your opinion.
May be, get my sony dvd/cd rw internal and get a dvd/cd rw external.
Would the external be connecded thru a usb port?
The internal be connected below my original cd/rom that I have in there now.
I would be able to move it between pcs.
Would this way be better or to no advantage?
John

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Would the external be connecded thru a usb port? Yes

The internal be connected below my original cd/rom that I have in there now. Correct

I would be able to move it between pcs. I'm assuming you are talking about the external one. Yes you will be able to do this as long as both systems have a USB connection on them

Would this way be better or to no advantage?
As stated above you would be able to go from either system with the external and utilize it for file transfer and data backup. This would save space on your main drives from having to hold a backup copy. Also any media files could be put on external and played on either system

I hope this answers the questions clearly for you. Let me know if I can be of assistance further :)

john god

john god

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 460 posts
Yes everything was answered perfectly.
One more thing:
If I was to transfer data or music from one drive to the other,
which one would I use to play and which one to record?
Or wouldn't it matter?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It won't matter. The external will depend on the system that it is plugged into. Thats the host system to speak of. The host holds all programming and the external would hold data only.

john god

john god

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 460 posts
Thank-You
Now its time to put the plan into motion.
John

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Good luck and please keep me updated.

Advertisements