Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My Barebone Kit

• Please log in to reply

DonMcG

DonMcG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
It is a steady continuous high pitched beep. Right when the computer is turned on and only when the graphics card is in. I am not sure of the BIOS, but here are the exact parts I purchased. The first one is the barebone kit and the second is the actual graphics card I bought.

Barebone Kit - http://www.tigerdire...e...49&CatId=31

Graphics Card - http://www.tigerdire...e...&CatId=1826

Thank you for the help. The person who put it together will be helping me tomorrow. If you have any recommendations on what I should or shouldn't do, please let me know, Thanks!

Advertisements

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Hello:

Did you plug in the power to the GPU? (located at the rear of the card by the HDD)

This will be done with (2) 4 pin molex connectors in to (1) 6 pin adaptor that plugs in to the GPU

or a 6 pin connector on the PSU wiring harness.

Please make sure you have the card properly seated and plugged in, then boot up the computer.

let me know how this works out.

Could you please tell me the model number of the PSU. I'm having a hard time finding info on it currently.

Good luck

Cbarnard

DonMcG

DonMcG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
it seemed as if the person who put it in only inserted the card and screwed it in to hold in, there were no cords on it. If I do need a cord, can you please tell me exactly what I'm looking for if I were to go to bestbuy?

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Hello:

You are looking for something like this at newegg

Were you able to find the info from your PSU?

It already may have the connector in the wiring harness... (you may not need to buy another.)

Also looking at your GPU it wants 30 amps on the 12v line and a 450watt min PSU

we need to see if your PSU even comes close to this...(amperage wise)

Good luck let me know what you find out

Cbarnard

DonMcG

DonMcG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
The guy who put it together that if it were a power supply problem, it would just kill it flat out no noise nothing, what do you think?

DonMcG

DonMcG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Also, I have been reading up on the card and people are saying they need a minimum of 450 watts to run it. Would this particular power supply fit in the kit I got? Or is it all the same?

http://www.tigerdire...e...&CatId=1079

Thanks!

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
There is no way that your graphics card is being properly powered. First of all, it requires a 6-pin PCI-E power connector, but you say no cords are plugged into the card. Even if you plugged in the 6-pin PCI-E power connector (if your power supply even has one), there is no way it would provide enough +12V amperage. Even if all 300W were dedicated to the +12V rail, and even if no other devices were drawing off the +12V rail, you would only get 25 amps of current (300 / 12), and more realistically, the power supply probably provides ~15 amps on the +12V rail. However, the 8800GT requires 30 amps, so you definitely need a new power supply.

The PSU you linked to (the BFG GS-550) would do, but my favorite sub-$50 PSU is this 450W Corsair. While it has a lower rated maximum output, it actually has more amperage on the +12V rail (33 amps), which is what 90% of your system (including the graphics card) uses.

DonMcG

DonMcG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
"The PSU you linked to (the BFG GS-550) would do"

so would I be able to use the PSU I have now? Or would I need the wire and PSU? To my understanding I definitely need that wire, which wasn't included, to get the proper connection, right?

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
To reiterate:

• The 300W PSU that came with your barebones kit (and that you are presumably using now) will not power your 8800GT under any circumstances.
  • The BFG GS-550 PSU you linked to in Post #21 would power your 8800GT.
  • However, I recommend this 450W Corsair PSU if you are looking to spend less than $50 on a PSU.

DonMcG

DonMcG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thanks for all the help. Got a 500 watt power supply and it works great! My final question is, is there any way to get sound out of this thing? Or do I need to purchase a sound card?

Advertisements

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Hello welcome back,

I'm glad to hear that you got your new PSU and things are working correctly.

About your sound:

According to the link you provided to Tiger direct. the MOBO you have has onboard sound...

There was a CD that was supplied with the MOBO...

That is the driver cd for the mobo

make sure you have installed the Audio drivers, and that they are enabled in the BIOS...

Also make sure that your speakers are plugged into the Green output on the back I\O panel of the MOBO

Make sure the audio is not muted in windows.(if it is Unmute it)

let me know how this works.

Good luck

Cbarnard

DonMcG

DonMcG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
You sir are "the man." It was a driver/utility deal. I ran the MSI Disk again and installed the audio drivers, which I guess the guy forgot to set up initially. Thanks a lot for the help! I went from not having a computer to having a great comp with a nice graphics card hooked up to my 42" television, playing HD Games!!! Thanks again and this message board is now a strong recommendation to those who mention to me they need help with their computer.

Can't thank you enough,
Don M.

OldTex

OldTex

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hi, on the power supply question I have 2 similar PC, P 2.13 DC 4gb ram nvida 8500 256 meg cards. PC 1 has 5 HDD and CD, DVD and Zip 100 with 550 watt ps, it had crashes about 1 a week, the other has 2 HDD CD, DVD and had a 400 watt ps. It crashed all the time. So I bought a 750 watt for the server and pulled the 550 and put it in the smaller pc, end of crashes. So I think a 500 watt ps or larger would save you from alot of crashes and problems. I hope this helps. OldTex

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Thank you for the reply back

I'm glad your problem has been resolved.

Please recommend this site to others for assistance, and don't hesitate your self if you need anymore help.

Thank you and good luck

Cbarnard