Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CRAZY Slow start-up

• Please log in to reply

bklyngrrl

bklyngrrl

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
I am running Windows XP svc pk 3.

A few weeks ago I updated to the latest version of Spybot search & destroy at the time. Since then my start-up has been very slow, at least 15 minutes. When I checked the processes running it showd S&D running at 84K & explorer.exe running at 24K. Since then I reachd out to the S&D forum on their site, and they suggested rather than removing S&D simply turn-off Teatimer.exe, which I did. Once off I checked the process and no teatimer runnning, great! BUT, unfortunately it's still taking a helluva long time for my laptop to start-up.

Most recently I also installed a new app for my new printer Lexmark 7600, but it is also on my other PC and no start-up issues on that one.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Go to Start -> Run -> msconfig
Go to the "Startup" tab.
Uncheck everything except your antivirus, and other security programs.
And reboot. If boot times are faster, then slowly begin recheck the boxes until you find the app that is causing your boot up to slow down.
If you are unsure if it is safe to uncheck a startup item, then you should google it. It should give you enough info to find out if that program is ok to uncheck.
Don't uncheck everything unless you know it won't do any harm to your system.

bklyngrrl

bklyngrrl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Thanks, I'll give it a try & report back.

ne0h

ne0h

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
ya try the msconfig and try to load only the things that are required...
use the registry cleaner to clean up the unwanted registry entries....
clean the temporary files(go to run>type in %temp% >delete all files ctrl+a and del)
clean up the recent documents(go to run>type in prefetch>delete all the entries.)

if this does'n solve the problem or if the pc is still slow then i will give u the registry settings to make ur comp faster

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts

if this does'n solve the problem or if the pc is still slow then i will give u the registry settings to make ur comp faster

I do not know of any registry settings that will make your computer faster. Nor would I recommend messing with the registry unless you really know what you are doing.

bklyngrrl

bklyngrrl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Thanks Tuxmaster, luckily I knew better to follow his suggestions :))

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Is your system working better now?

bklyngrrl

bklyngrrl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
I did the msconfig and shut off unclicked a few items from apps that I know, but unfortunately it is still slow starting up. I believe that I may have a trojan b/c iexplorer.exe & explorer.exe are the hogs on start-up. So I did all the preliminary scans and posted in the malware forum.

Hopefully it will be resolved soon. Thanks!

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Ok let us know if you are still having issues after they are finished.

Edited by tuxmaster, 28 April 2009 - 04:45 PM.

bklyngrrl

bklyngrrl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Tuxmaster I'm hoping you can provide me with some assistance...

As I said I posted on the Malware forum, but, all the scans, Kavorsky, my own Norton scan, Spybot S& D, Malware Bytes, SuperAntispyware, are coming up clean (which is good I guess, but the start-up issue remains & now my system which was running swiftly slows significantly when I open explorer).

I have turned off a few process on start-up that were unnecessary, I turned off tea-timer, but yet I still have a slow start-up PLUS in the last week now the iexplore.exe process is hogging up more & more CPU (as high as 804K) with two explorer windows open, and I keep getting the "virtual memory too low" message.

There has to be something weird going on.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Download, install, and run Whats Running.
Click on Take snapshot in the left pane.
New pop-up window will open.
Click on Save snapshot, and save the file as snap (.xml extension will be added automatically) to know location.

Posted Image

Zip the file, and attach it to your next reply.

bklyngrrl

bklyngrrl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Thanks!
OK attached is the What's running zip file. Hopefully you can give me some help.

Attached Files

• Attached File  snap.zip   76.51KB   279 downloads

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I don't see anything unusual, so let's try this...

Go Start>Run (Start Search in Vista), type in:
msconfig
Click OK (hit Enter in Vista).

Click on Startup tab.
Click Disable all

Click Services tab.
Put checkmark in Hide all Microsoft services
Click Disable all.

Click OK.
Restart computer in Normal Mode.

NOTE. If you use different firewall, than Windows firewall, turn Windows firewall on, just for this test, since your regular firewall won't be running.
If you use Windows firewall, you're fine.

Same problem?

bklyngrrl

bklyngrrl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
OK, I made some adjustments to the start-up items and the services that were running and my start-up time has significantly improved.
I even turned spybot S&D teatimer back on. It's just weird how this start-up issue came up out of the blue.
Thanks for the help!

Question, I am still however having the low virtual memory message pop-up, it only started when I had these start-up issues. I notice however under performance options that the total paging file size for all drives is set to 744MB, if I increase this number will it help to resolve this low virtual memory issue? Should I open a new topic for this?

Thanks again!

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

I made some adjustments to the start-up items and the services that were running

This way, you'll never find the culprit.
Start again with my previous reply.
Then, you have to start enabling services, and startups, but only one-by-one, restarting computer after each adjustment, until you find the culprit.

total paging file size for all drives is set to 744MB

Normally, page file is set to RAM amount times 1.5.