Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help setting up Belkin F5D7010 v8001 Wireless Notebook Card

• Please log in to reply

dennis0222

dennis0222

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I am having trouble making the Belkin F5D7010 v8001 to work. I believe that I accidentally inserted the card into my laptop before I installed the software and driver, and now when I insert the card, it is showing up as Ethernet Controller instead of as a wireless adapter. I was wondering is there a way I can make it work again. I tried installing and reinstalling the software and drivers, but my laptop still see the card as a Ethernet Controller. Please help me, I called the tech support, all they tell me to do is install reinstall, and blaming the problem on my computer or the card itself. I know that both my computer and the card is working perfectly, just that I inserted the card before installing the driver. I have windows xp, please let me know if any additional information is needed.

Advertisements

Oreo Collas

Oreo Collas

• PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
Hello dennis0222

Welcome to G2G! My name is Oreo Collas and I'll be helping today. Please be sure that you print or copy all of the instructions to a document on your desktop as many of the directions may require you to log into Safe Mode or unhook your internet connection.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Please make sure to read through all the directions and make sure that you understand them completly before doing any thing. If there is something that you do not unsderstand then let me know and I will elaborate. Skipping steps, working out of order, or working ahead of the directions may cause undesireable results.

You will see an ethernet controller in your divice list. That is suposed to be listed like that. See if you can find something else that may be the card its self.

dennis0222

dennis0222

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello Oreo Collas, I am pleased to receive help from you today. The directions/instructions provided were a simple 4 step procedure to installing, which I followed inaccurately the first time.
What I did was:
Inserted notebook card
Installed Software
Reboot computer

Their directions were:
Install Software
Inserted notebook card
Reboot computer

I uninstalled and reinstalled the laptop software with the correct process, but it shows up as Ethernet controller. According to the instructions, the computer is suppose to identify the notebook card as Belkin Wireless Clients, but instead it shows up as ethernet controller causing the driver to not be able to install correctly.

I have read that since I incorrectly inserted the notebook card first before installing the software would cause this problem, but I am unable to find a situation for this, please help me if you can, thank you.

Oreo Collas

Oreo Collas

• PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
Alright, well, my first recomendation would be to go to the wireless card manufacturor web site and make sure you have the latest drivers downloaded and installed. If you have trouble finding drivers for it let me know and I will try to find a link for you.

dennis0222

dennis0222

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I have done that already.

Oreo Collas

Oreo Collas

• PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
Alright, it sounds like you have already done this, but I want to make sure. Please follow or refollow the steps below.

1) Turn off your computer
2) Remove the wireless card
3) Turn on your computer
4) Remove all drivers associated to the wireless card
5) Restart your computer
6) Install the drivers from the CD and follow the directions given to you from the manufacturor.
7) Turn off your computer
8) Insert your wireless card
9) Turn your computer on

Does this fix it?
Do you have any yellow or red warnings any where in your device manager at all?

dennis0222

dennis0222

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Yes I have done that process, and I do have a yellow question mark in my device manager next to the ethernet controller

Oreo Collas

Oreo Collas

• PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
If you right click it and go to properties what error message do you get?