Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Stuck in Safe Mode (Windows XP)

• Please log in to reply

davi921

davi921

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
So recently I decided to repair my Windows XP Professional because I was experiencing problems with a malware / spyware.

What I first did though was try to resolve the problem by running the computer in safe mode. I DID NOT run safe mode through the F8 method. I instead used the "Start -> Run -> MSCONFIG"

Posted Image

I did not get the problem fixed. So my last option was to reinstall Windows XP Professional. I insert the CD, choose the repair option and everything is working out. Up until the set up part. The computer reboots, loads Windows and goes directly into safe mode and I get an error that says "Windows can not run Set Up under Safe Mode. The Set Up will be restarted." So it restarts, computer goes straight into safe mode and the same error message appears.

I've tried the F8 Method of "Start Computer Normally." That does not work either. The computer still loads into safe mode. I can not go back to the Start -> Run -> MSCONFIG because right when the computer loads, it goes straight to Safe Mode and when it gets to the Safe Mode, I get the error that says "Windows can not run Set Up under Safe Mode. The Set Up will be restarted." So it restarts, computer goes straight into safe mode and the same error message appears.

So pretty much I am stuck in this circle. I do not know how to get out of safe mode.

Any help please?

Advertisements

chamber

chamber

Face Burnin' Malware Fighter

• Visiting Consultant
  • 2,712 posts
Have you had a look HERE?

davi921

davi921

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Thanks for the reply, however I found a different method that worked out great for me.

Here's the method that I used. For anyone who might need it in the future, here you go.

I`m afraid you should not attempt a Repair if you are stuck in Safe Mode. You just get stuck in the cycle.

This is the only way I know to repair your problem
Boot up with your XP installation CD
Let setup run and copy files
Select the first “R” for Recovery Console

Type the command
bootcfg /list (there is a space before / )
ENTER

The screen will show something like “fastdetect /noexecute=optin “
OR JUST
“/fastdetect”

Copy this information down as you will need it later

Type command
bootcfg /rebuild (there is a space before / )
ENTER

Results of bootcfg /rebuild: Total identified Windows installs:
[1] C:\WINDOWS. ( You will have 2 here, so select the correct one to Repair)

Add installation to boot list:
type Y
ENTER

Enter Load Identifier:
type
Microsoft Windows XP Professional
OR
Microsoft Windows XP Home
(choose which one you have installed)
ENTER

Enter OS Load options:
Type what you copied above
For example
fastdetect /NoExecute=Optin (there is a space before /)
ENTER

Type
exit
ENTER to quit Recovery Console.

Good luck