Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

gaming computer

• Please log in to reply

Koller

Koller

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have decided to build my own gaming computer, i just dont know if all these parts match :-\ so here is what i was looking to get.

A mid tower case with a 350 power supply, it just says P4 ready....
Asus K8V SE Deluxe VIA Socket 754 ATX with an AMD athlon 64 3400+
Geil Ultra Dual Channel 1024MB PC4000 DDR 500MHz CL2.5 Memory (2 x 512MB)
THD-40JB P :: Western Digital / 40GB / 7200 / 8MB / ATA-100 / EIDE / OEM / Hard Drive

and all the other stuff i know what to get... just dont know if that power supply and ram will work with that motherboard and CPU. And i would be glad to hear any other tips you guys have thank you :tazz:

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

Check the cpu Amd makes 2 versions of the 3400+ one has 512mb of L2 cache and the other 1 gig so your better with the 1 gig L2 cache version if you can find one, try zipzoomfly.com.

the ram you could just get pc3200, pc4000 will work but you won't see any differance so if its more money just get pc3200. socket 754 boards don't offer dual channel ram so you don't really need the ram to be dual channel but it still will work.

The psu, in general when they come with a case they are junk, I recommend a antec true series in either 430w or 480w

or a ultat Xconnect 500w its nice because of its modular cable design, you only use what cables you need and all the cables are sleeved witch helps keep them tidy and also helps cooling.

Do not overlook the psu, what ever you decide on make sure it has amps in the 20's on the 12v rail. Amd recommends atleast 18A but most users of the 64 systems report amps in the mid or low 20's on the 12v is best.

Also look at the Abit KV8 mobo

Rick

Edited by Doby, 09 May 2005 - 09:55 PM.

Koller

Koller

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
ok I have revised my list and I think this will work :\

Abit KV8 PRO Via K8T800 Pro Athlon 64 Skt754 DDR ATX Motherboard w/Audio, Gigabit LAN

And i dont know which ram to get either the Geil Ultra Dual Channel 1024MB PC4000 DDR 500MHz CL2.5 Memory (2 x 512MB)

THD-40JB P :: Western Digital / 40GB / 7200 / 8MB / ATA-100 / EIDE / OEM / Hard Drive

and my case
Aspire Black X-Dreamer Mid-Tower Case with Clear Side and 350Watt Power Supply...
and what is too much power? Like should i get a 500 watt power supply or stay at 350 and just get a better one?

Thanks for helping me :tazz:

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Heres the ram I recommend for that system Corsair, its a dual channel kit but the same price if it was not dual channel. Understand any socket 754 board does not have dual channel capability's if you want that then you would have to go socket 939.

This ram will be good if you don't plan to overclock, if you do then look at corsairs XMS series but thats more expensive

You can't have too much power so here are a couple psu's I know will work with the system or any for that matter.

Ultra

Antec

If you decide on another psu post a link to it here and I will tell if its good enough.

Rick

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
One more thing, look at a Western digital ide 80gig I don't think they cost but a few dollars more than the 40 gig

Koller

Koller

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
ok hope im getting closer

80 gig hard drive

130$ motherboard ABIT AV8 socket 939

140$ 2x512 decided to save the money and went with normal corsair

$280 :-\ AMD Athlon 64 3500+

Am i getting closer lol? Thank you for helping me Doby :tazz: and i dont know if cache or MHz is more important in gaming computers, so i went with MHz

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Yea that has the makings of a great gaming computer

your link to the 80 gig was to a antec power supply was that what you decided on?

and the ram you linked to was the better ram by corsair

Koller

Koller

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Ok thank you Doby, that ram was the ram i ment to go to, so cool! Thanks again :tazz:

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
your welcome, and let me know when you get it built

krishiyer

krishiyer

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi Guys,

I am looking at building a computer too. I see the following configuration for $260/- What do you guys think ?. Please tell me any suggestions.

http://www.tigerdire.....u=C460-1022 M

Chaintech 7NJL6 Barebone Kit / AMD Athlon XP 2900+ / 512MB DDR / 120GB HDD / 64MB Video / 52x CD-ROM / CPU Fan / Diablo ATX Mid-Tower Case with 450 Watt PS/ Keyboard / Mouse

Can you tell me the difference between AMD Athlon XP 2900+ and AMD 64 3000+ that you are suggesting in terms of computing power ?. I use the computer for gaming and as a web server.

TIA,
Krishnan.

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hey Krishnan. I have to apologize to you I did see your thread about build a computer but thought someone else would respond that could help with the server part. but anyway its late and I will get back to you tomarrow and explain the differance between the athlon and 64 systems.

Rick

krishiyer

krishiyer

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Thanks a lot rick. I am really hoping to get some help in building this computer. I am first time builder, so I need all the help I can get.

thanks,
Krishnan.

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
Hey Krishnan,

The computer you choose is decent for work and minimal gaming, but nothing for hardcore gaming, for that price, you know your gonna suffer somewhere :tazz: for example, the harddrive is not 7200 rpm, it is only 5400 RPM with 2 MB cache....i would recommend buying new parts or a better barebone so you dont suffer and the computer will last you many years- first what do you want this computer for...gaming, work, home?

krishiyer

krishiyer

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi,

Thanks for your honest opinions. I am actually planning on using the system for work, mails, webserver and some occasional gaming. The game that I play is Cricket 2002 which does need some computing power.

Ok, now for some of the specs I am looking for. I want the system to have the following minimum config :-

- 120 GB Hard Drive (I don't know the difference between IDE, ATA or SATA - so I am hoping someone will tell me what to buy).

- DVD bruner +-RW so I can burn DVDs and CDs

- 1 Gig of RAM (Please tell me what to buy, i.e., 1 Gb or 2 * 512 or 4 * 256 or it does not matter)

- decent video card (I am not sure what this means as yet. I do not want to pay a lot for this, something that will not be very expensive like $200/- but something that will work good enough).

- some fast processor (please suggest me some good ones). My current one is really slow, I think it is a pentium 3. I would like something in which I can play a few good games.

My budget is about $500/-. I can go a little overboard but in general I am looking at this ballpark figure. I am hoping to keep this system for some time, so would rather build a decent system than worrying to change it again.

Also, please tell me if I am dreaming to build the system I am mentioning in $500 dollars ?.

Thanks,
Krishnan.

krishiyer

krishiyer

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi Soxrok,

thanks for your help. I also had a question regarding the CPU ?.

I am not a brand person, if something gets the job done that is what I want.

I know AMD processors are a little cheaper than Intel ?. Can you suggest me equivalent CPUs of AMD with performance equivalent to Intel Pentium P4 CPU 3.2 Ghz ?. This is what I use at work and is pretty good in terms of processing power.

TIA,
Krishnan.