Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

no add/remove programs, now my ipod won't go!

• Please log in to reply

23red

23red

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,797 posts
:) :) Howzit all! Thank you for being! I have looked here for help before, but now I'm stumped, and I have not found a fix for this. Main problem: Add/remove programs not going. Blank window, nothing appears. It created mini dumps? in my task manager a couple of times. Tried a few things i found online, appwiz.cpl , read thru registries, everything checks out... nothing works. Went to trend micro for an online scan, it won't go. I have this ca security suite, (yeah, SUITE of processes!) free from r.r. I don't like it because of the many running processes. But I cannot remove it because the add/remove programs won't open..
#2, I have WAAAAY too many processes running. How can I cut it down?
#3 Its way slow on startup, very slow generally and super slow on the Apple website..haha... and now identity logon has started appearing in my task bar on startup!
And to top it off, now my ipod is not recognized in my computer or on itunes, and my external hard drive might have just died :) .. But my computer is still goin! LOL
Its a 2000 Sony Vaio, my original 40 gig c drive died, so I replaced it with an 80G wd drive and got a120G external drive I have taken it apart and done lots over time, I haven't been paying much attention lately and things have gotten out of hand. Included is my Hijack this log:

[attachment=29515:HiJackThis_log.txt]

I was lucky to be given by microsoft a copy of xp pro, so thats whats on here now, I started out with xp home. :) I know its alot..... Help! Please!?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello 23red...

Is Add or Remove Programs the only snap-in that opens unpopulated?

Click Start, then Run, type cmd, and click "Ok".

At the prompt in the Command Window, type regsvr32 appwiz.cpl, and press "Enter".

Does Add or Remove Programs populate after doing this?

When you attach an HJT log, please turn off the word wrap so it's easier to read...and then, only post one when asked for it or when posting in the Malware forum.

wannabe1

23red

23red

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Malware Removal
  • 1,797 posts
Thank you, and nope, didn't work. I think i tried that before i posted.
Sorry for posting in an inappropriate area your site was recommended on hijackthis, which is why I listed that as well. I wasn't aware i had a malware problem, thought the xp section would be a little more appropriate. Should I repost? Thank you again for your help.

smith134

smith134

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Instead of add/remove you can use "Revo Un-installer"
http://www.revounins...e_download.html

23red

23red

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Malware Removal
  • 1,797 posts
thank you, a good temporary fix, but shouldn't I fix the issue? When I tried it earlier, and let it go, my desktop emptied. Then I got scared and shut the whole thing down before something worse happened. If this is malware, how would I check? how ( if at all) does the hijackthis log help?

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
If you have reason to think that this is malware related then. I suggest you go to the Malware Forum and run all the steps located in the Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).