Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Delayed Typing issue...

• Please log in to reply

Monty4317

Monty4317

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Hey all,

I'd just like to say thanks ahead of time for the help :) but anyway, here's the issue...

I have a laptop, Inspiron 1501, just freshly reinstalled Windows XP but whenever I type it appears delayed. I type a sentence, my cursor dissappears and it slowly fills in letter by letter until it finishes typing whatever I wanted. It occurs in ALL programs... notepad, word, IE, firefox, etc... I tested it in safe mode once and it seemed to work fine there but I'm going to give it another shot. Any help you guys can give me would be awesome! Thanks!

Advertisements

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
Seems like the indexing service is turned on. I encounter this issue when helping others with Windows XP. It is one of the biggest performance issues with Windows XP!

Right click on My Computer and click Manage.

Expand the Services and Applications, then click Services.

Make your way down to Indexing Service -- Double click to bring up the Properties window, and click Stop to let Windows stop the service. Then from the Status type drop down box select Disabled.

Monty4317

Monty4317

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Seems like the indexing service is turned on. I encounter this issue when helping others with Windows XP. It is one of the biggest performance issues with Windows XP!

Right click on My Computer and click Manage.

Expand the Services and Applications, then click Services.

Make your way down to Indexing Service -- Double click to bring up the Properties window, and click Stop to let Windows stop the service. Then from the Status type drop down box select Disabled.

Hey, thanks for the quick reply.

I checked that and it was already stopped but set to manual. I now set it to disabled. Here's a bit more info on exactly what went down

Before the reformatting, the laptop overheated and shut itself down. The problem started happening soon after this (not immediately though). When it first started happening, I installed the latest video drivers and that solved the problem for about a day. After that, the problem came backand persisted from then on. I reformatted the computer and now the problem is still there. I'm trying to think of any other info I could had but I'm not sure what you guys need.

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
The laptop may be overheating because of improper cooling. If the processor or video card are not properly cooled, the laptop can overheat, and the processor or video card can melt and/or cease to function.

I recommend to take it to a local computer repair shop and have the repair shop check the cooling of it. They can suggest different fans and/or cooling methods.

It looks like thus far your video card may be the overheat, because of the lagging on-screen.

Once you do that, you will not have any more problems with overheat. When you have completed this activity, post back here with the results and if you are still having an issue.

Monty4317

Monty4317

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

The laptop may be overheating because of improper cooling. If the processor or video card are not properly cooled, the laptop can overheat, and the processor or video card can melt and/or cease to function.

I recommend to take it to a local computer repair shop and have the repair shop check the cooling of it. They can suggest different fans and/or cooling methods.

It looks like thus far your video card may be the overheat, because of the lagging on-screen.

Once you do that, you will not have any more problems with overheat. When you have completed this activity, post back here with the results and if you are still having an issue.

Thanks was planning on taking it in anyway :) the overheating problem was due to the laptop being set down on a bed haha. So, is this most likely a hardware issue?

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
Possibly. More cooling than anything.

If cooling issues happen, they can be as bad as actually melting the board itself. So get on that quickly. :)

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Click on "Everest Instructions" in my sig and follow the instructions. This will provide us with some basic info about your computer and sensor readings (temps)

Monty4317

Monty4317

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Click on "Everest Instructions" in my sig and follow the instructions. This will provide us with some basic info about your computer and sensor readings (temps)

Thanks for the help :) I don't think it's a problem with overheating though. I've checked out my computers temp with SpeedFan. I'll be going through the Everest Instructions later this evening. I don't believe the computer is still overheating and causing problems.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

I don't think it's a problem with overheating though.

I also thought it was very unlikely, and more likely a software issue. Try disabling everything from msconfig (startup tab), and see if the problem is solved.

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
Worth reading, IMO.

Another worthy read, IMO.

And another worthy read, IMO.

Reference:
  • Enough RAM
  • Video card issues
  • Media Direct