Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

HDD issues

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Well anyway here goes :)
I recently decided to reinstall Vista as my old install was unstable and unsuable, So I wanted a fresh start
However when I went to delete the first partiton to merge it with another (2nd partiton) the deletion froze up and my system shut down. Now when ever I go to read just the first partition it'll either lock up or not read at all

Is there anyway to delete the first partiton to create a fresh one?
none of my other data on my othr partions are damaged thankfully.. Just the first one

Cheers!

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
you could use GParted (google it) to delete the corrupted partition and then extend the other partition out to take up the whole drive (or whatever you're wanting to do)....you can burn gparted as a bootable cd that will run on the computer without an OS

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I'll try that thanks, What if it doesn't read it?
Could it be the MBR being all messed up?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
hard to tell till we get there....if it's part of a disk/file system...gparted will see it