Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

i cant install a fresh copy of vista ultimate

• Please log in to reply

tlamelo

tlamelo

• Pip
  • 3 posts
i formated hard drive and its partitions and tried to instal a fresh operating system but i get an error of "windos cannot install required file. the file may be corrupted or missing. make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart the installation. ERROR CODE: 0X80070017" PLISE HELP ME.

Advertisements

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
This error most likely means:
- there's a problem with your DVD drive
- there's a problem with the DVD (damaged in some way)
- there's a problem with your hard drive.

Often times the reason that you're reformatting will tell us a lot. Why did you decide to wipe the computer out and start over?

I'd suggest cleaning the DVD thoroughly (using a disk cleaner, not a cloth) and trying again.
If it still fails, then I'd try a bootable hard drive diagnostic (instructions here: http://usasma.vox.co...iagnostics.html )