Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

System Performance Dropped and weird goings on

• Please log in to reply

Phantom Mark

Phantom Mark

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi,

So my system is starting to show signs of a slowdown despite being well maintained and regularly defragged with O&O and Virus checked every day, the install is approximately 1 year old and is used every day for work and play for at least 8 - 14 hours, I am a games developer by trade hence the usage.

My main problems are as follows......

1) General system slowdown, programs appear to take much longer to launch now, especially games, its like the PC sits and does nothing after I click a shortcut, kinda just sits and thinks about it, in reality im wondering if its just taking ages to cache into the Ram ?

2) My toolbars and menus in general are no longer instant, unless cached into ram with a pre-emptive mouse over.

3) Right clicking on certain shortcuts causes explorer to crash, only way out is TM and End DR Watson as a process tree.

4) Copying, deleting, sometimes even just moving anything on the desktop, or sub folder on the desktop does not appear in real time, the only time you see the changes you made is when you right click and manually refresh the desktop.

These are the most annoying and most serious problems.

I have fully defragged my system with o&o using the NAME process, also manually deleted and cleaned up my temp files, deleted all my IE history, including cookies, temp files etc, cleaned my cooler and fans, checked temps, running out of ideas now, im actually starting to wonder if this isn't the start of some memory problems again....or HDD, the system in general just feels laggy.

In the past I have suffered heavily with Ram failures when using an EVGA 680i mobo and Corsair Dommy 8500C5's, fried at least 2 sets in no time at all despite being under voltaged and clocked back slightly to encourage stability, I got sick of the failures of the 680 chipset and Ram and swapped out to my current specs....note the total ditching of the 680i Chipset !!!

QX6700
Asus Maximus Formula
2x 2gb Corsair Dommy 8500C5, forced the Voltage in Bios to 2.1v to stop Mobo overclocking it !!!
XP Home SP3

Edited by Phantom Mark, 24 April 2009 - 02:29 AM.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go here and see what RAM is recommended for your system or check the ASUS site for RAM that is compatible with your mobo...you can also want to get any updated BIOS's there as well...
also try the safe settings in the BIOS usually F5 but read the screens to be sure...save your settings..F10 but read the screens to be sure..

Phantom Mark

Phantom Mark

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi Rock

The memory I am using is SLi certified and also compatible fully with the Asus board, in fact the system has been running tip top for over a year in its current configuration.

I have recently flashed the bios to the latest version in an attempt to help things along.

Also worth mentioning, once you have run a program and then quite the next time you launch it , it loads super quick at the expected loading speed.

FWIW system performance as far as gaming is concerned seems 100% , with my 3dMark 2006 score touching 15800 (a wee bit faster than when I first built the system in fact), and to highlight when im working or playing in games performance is still blistering, just seems like the general OS speed lagging and application launch speeds pre cache state lagging, not to mention the other OS problems I highlighted already.

TIA

Edited by Phantom Mark, 23 April 2009 - 12:26 PM.

Phantom Mark

Phantom Mark

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
If anyone has any idea how to solve the simple desktop issues it would be a great start thanks ?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
how much free space do you have on the system drive...
also check to see whats loading at start up...
what anti virus do you use...
if your anti virus is set to run at a certain time... try setting it to manual and see if that helps...
got any other malware tools that are set to run in the background...
have you run a checkdsk /r recently...

Phantom Mark

Phantom Mark

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

how much free space do you have on the system drive...
also check to see whats loading at start up...
what anti virus do you use...
if your anti virus is set to run at a certain time... try setting it to manual and see if that helps...
got any other malware tools that are set to run in the background...
have you run a checkdsk /r recently...

Hi,

• 68.4gb Free on the system drive
  • Regularly run MSCONFIG and Regedit/Task Manager to check whats running, nothing out of the ordinary shows up I can see, will make a screen grab for you tho.
  • AVG 8.5 with up to date defs twice a day.
  • AVG is set to auto scan first thing in the morning, before I start work
  • No Malware tools in background, however I have been using Registry Mechanic Once per month(registered version)
  • No, I have not run a Checkdsk /R lately, will do that before I switch off tonight ready for next boot

FWIW System Restore is disabled on all drives for some time now with no problems, Trash can set to 10% per drive, Virtual Memory set to user setting 3070mb

taskmanager.jpg

Edited by Phantom Mark, 24 April 2009 - 10:00 AM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
would you get me screenshots of everything in the startup tab using msconfig...
you have been using Registry Mechanic...we generally DO NOT recommend using registry tools because they can cause more issues then they help with...

Phantom Mark

Phantom Mark

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
yup will do thx

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
1: Boot into safe mode and see if you have the same problems.

2: Switch off your router, uninstall AVG 8.5, reboot in normal mode and see if there is any improvement.

3: I would try to run malware scans with other programs. It is possible that the computer is infected but AVG does not identify the bug. You can take the preliminary steps recommended in G2G malware forum (a link in my list below).

4: Place your XP installation CD in the drive. Click Start > Run. Type sfc /scannow and let the process run.

Edited by The Skeptic, 24 April 2009 - 12:34 PM.

Phantom Mark

Phantom Mark

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks mate, appreciated, will tackle these tomorrow night - family time atm, thanks again for extra ideas :)