Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Looking at Building a Fresh Modern System

• Please log in to reply

Phantom Mark

Phantom Mark

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I am currently running the following system which I built as a top spec machine slightly more than 2 years ago.

-----------------------------

• Thermaltake Armour LCS (Changed to Air Cooling)
  • Intel QX6700 with Zalman 9700 Cooler
  • Asus Maximus Formula
  • 4gb Corsair Dominator 8500C5 (2x 2gb)
  • Soundblaster Fatal!ty Pro
  • BFG O/C 280GTX (Stock Air Cooler)
  • 150gb Western Digital Raptor
  • 300gb Seagate 7200.10
  • 500gb Western Digital Caviar

-----------------------------

Currently im struggling to see anything on the market which is worthwhile upgrading to without spending stupendous amounts on a new I7 top end CPU, advice would be appreciated.

I dropped my LCS because the CPU waterblock sprung a leak and I have had over the past 2 years one failure of a pump, thankfully I was running MCT-5 when I sprung that leak !!!!!

Would consider the O/C route again but only with a decent proven LCS setup, my temps under load are currently, 45-50c on the CPU, 80c on the GFX, and around 30-35 on the system.

Thanks.

Advertisements

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
So, what exactly are you trying to do that this system can't handle?

If you aren't looking at an i7 system, you can't really upgrade much from what you have. The newer socket 775 quad-core CPUs run a little bit faster and a little bit cooler due to their smaller transistors, but won't give you a whole lot of an improvement over what you currently have.