Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Monitor goes black (except for cursor)

• Please log in to reply

CNBarnes

CNBarnes

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I am the sysadmin for a department on our campus. I support (among other things) an office staff of around 10 users, who all have identical computers - Dell Optiplex 755 w/ a 2408 monitor. Running Vista Enterprise (32 bit).

I have something weird happening on just 1 of these: at random times (meaning I cannot duplicate the problem at will) the monitor will go completely black ... except for the cursor. I can move the cursor around the screen just fine. The hard disk does not seem to be doing anything abnormal (meaning I don't think there is anything running amok in the background).

The power settings are set to "maximum performance". Sleep mode and "Turn monitor off" are both set to "never".

Hitting alt-cntl-delete does not bring up Task manager (or maybe it does - I just can see it).
Powering the monitor off then back on doesn't do anything.

After messing with a bunch of things, unplugging the monitor from the back of the computer brings the picture back - but at the lowest possible resolution (the user normally runs at maximum resolution).

Ideas?

Advertisements

CNBarnes

CNBarnes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
More info.

I was able to force it to go black - by hitting alt-cntl-del (like I would do if I was going to lock the workstation). I tried it on a different computer and the screen goes black for a second, then displays a menu. On this machine, the menu never gets displayed.

Unplugging the vga cable and plugging it back in brought the picture back again (but again, at a really odd resolution).