Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Geforce 9600 GT, defective?

• Please log in to reply

hirow

hirow

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
I bought a Geforce 9600 GT the other day and installed it as soon as it came in onto my GIGABYTE GA-M57SLI-S4 AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard. When I powered on my PC, the BIOS had gibberish written all over the screen and the windows logo/desktop had lines going through them. After a few minutes, the screen would go black and there are strange symbols on the screen and the PC would freeze.

Is this a common error? Did I do something wrong during the installation or is the card defective?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Sounds like the card is defective. Take it back.

hirow

hirow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
That's what I thought too, thanks. It's not a common error is it? (for example, when it's not properly installed)

I mean it makes beeps or my monitor doesn't display anything at all when the GPU's not set up properly, so I'm pretty sure it's a defect.

Edited by hirow, 23 April 2009 - 06:01 PM.