Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

'Page Load Error" message repeatedly

• Please log in to reply

Kamal Pasha

Kamal Pasha

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
My PC boots slowly, ditto Firefox;

I often get the message 'Page Load Error' n starting Firefox instead of my web page YAHOO.

If I do get to Yahoo, it is almost impossible to access other web pages - the "Page Load Error" appears.

Another oddity is that my C drive (which is 10 GB) has only 1 GB of space left! Sometimes it shrinks to 800 MB. I don't know what's taking up so much space.

However, the other oddity is that when I download using Free Download Manager (FDM) using my wireless modem, I get terrific download speeds!

Is there something wrong with Firefox? Or is it the C drive?

Please help!

Advertisements

Vino Rosso

Vino Rosso

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 235 posts
I believe the system needs a minimum of 15% hard drive space to operate effectively. Try doing a major clean up first to see if it helps. Here are some tips:

a)
Double click My Computer
Right click the disc drive you wish to check, usually C:
Click Properties
On the General tab, compare the Free Space with the capacity of the drive. In order to operate efficiently, Windows requires a certain amount of free space on the hard drive. If this is less than 15% you should consider removing any unused or unnecessary programs and temporary files.

Go to Start > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs and remove any programs that you no longer use and then reboot your PC.

b.)
Download StartUp Inspector from >here< and run the program.
This program will help you to decide exactly what programs you can disable from running at startup.
The Readme.txt file included has instructions on how to use it.

c)
Download CCleaner Slim from >here< and save it to your Desktop.
When the file has been saved, go to your Desktop and double-click on ccsetupxxx_slim.exe
Follow the prompts to install the program.
Complete the installation then:
  • Make sure that ALL browser windows are closed
  • Double-click the CCleaner shortcut on the desktop to start the program.
  • Click on the Options block on the left, then choose Cookies.
    • Under Cookies to Delete, highlight any cookies you would like to retain permanently
    • Click the right arrow > to move them to the Cookies to Keep window.
  • Go into Options > Advanced deselect/uncheck 'Only delete files in Windows Temp folders older than 48 hours'
  • Click Cleaner on the left then Run Cleaner on the right to run the program.
  • Caution: It is not recommended that you use the 'Registry' feature unless you are very familiar with the registry.
  • After CCleaner has completed its process, click Exit.
CCleaner will remove everything from the temp/temporary folders but please note that it will not make back ups!

d)
Close all windows; physically disconnect from the internet; disable your screensaver and antivirus/protection programs
Click Start > Run > type dfrg.msc
In the top of the window, click on the C: drive
Click the Defragment button
Go for a long walk!
Close Disk Defragmenter when finished
Important: Re-enable your antivirus/protection programs!

A tutorial for disc defragmentation is available >here<

e)
Indexing Service creates indexes of the contents and properties of all files on local and network drives in order to increase file searching speed. It's quite similar to "Find Fast" that ships with Microsoft Office. Indexing Service runs continuously and can slow down your PC's general performance because it has to index files continuously. If you don't need slightly faster file searches, the feature can be safely turned off. Note: Indexing Service is turned on by default for all NTFS partitions.

Turning this service off to increase overall performance: Open My Computer > right-click on a Drive icon > Select Properties > UNcheck Allow Indexing Service to index this disk for fast file searching > Click Apply. Make sure to select Apply changes to subfolders and files before clicking OK in the new window.

Vista: http://www.howtogeek...exing-in-vista/

f)
Some visual effects used by Windows XP can cause your PC to operate slowly. To see if this speeds things up try:
Start > right-click on My Computer > Properties
Advanced tab > under Performance, click on the Settings button
Visual Effects tab, select Adjust for Best Performance

Kamal Pasha

Kamal Pasha

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Thank you!

There seems to be some progress.

I have a question: is it safe to use AVIRA ANTIVIR and Zone Alarm SpyBlocker toolbar?

The other question I have is: what could be taking up so much space in a 10 GB C-drive? How can I find out?

I have deleted a few programs (there aren;t that many): recently I also get this pop-up before boot from Micrososft that aks to intall a Genuine Software Installer or stg like that - why am I getting this pop-up now, and every time I boot the PC?

Should I install the program?

Thanks awfully. :) :)

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts

is it safe to use AVIRA ANTIVIR and Zone Alarm SpyBlocker toolbar?

Yes.

what could be taking up so much space in a 10 GB C-drive? How can I find out?

Get DriveSpacio: http://www.drivespacio.f-sw.com/

I also get this pop-up before boot from Micrososft that aks to intall a Genuine Software Installer

Go here: http://www.microsoft...?displaylang=en
Click on "Validate Windows" button.

Kamal Pasha

Kamal Pasha

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
I tried all the recommended steps except Validate XP:

This had me flummoxed:

"In the WgaPluginInstaller.exe pop up window, select Save File."

I don't know what that is.

I was totoally unable to log on till I shut down my fire alarm (ZoneAlarm).This might be just a coincidence.

However, when I made GoogleChrome my default web browser, I was able to log on easily. Coincidence? I will try it again.

:)

Kamal Pasha

Kamal Pasha

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Im sorry, but I've tried everything and I still can't free up space on my C-drive (now 14%) , nor can I speed up my browser experience.

What to do?

Vino Rosso

Vino Rosso

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 235 posts

Im sorry, but I've tried everything and I still can't free up space on my C-drive (now 14%) , nor can I speed up my browser experience.

What to do?

Do offline programs also run slowly?

Kamal Pasha

Kamal Pasha

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
No!

Office programs run just fine!

It's only when I go online via Firefox that I have to wait ages.

Does this shed light on the matter?

Vino Rosso

Vino Rosso

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 235 posts
Try the following and report back...

Make sure Firefox is closed down.

Start > All Programs > Mozilla Firefox > Mozilla Firefox (Safe Mode)

1) Any difference in the browsing speed to using Firefix normally? Yes/no/the same?

Close Firefox.

Start Internet Explorer normally.

2) Is Internet Explorer faster than Firefox? Yes/no/the same?

Kamal Pasha

Kamal Pasha

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Thank you. Answers:

1) The same.

2) I don't have IE, so I used GoogleChrome. Answer: Yes (much faster).

Does this help?

Vino Rosso

Vino Rosso

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 235 posts
Make sure you have definitely run CCleaner.

Are you running the latest version 3.0.10? [edit] Latest version of Firefox

You could also try creating a new Firefox profile to see if that helps. http://kb.mozillazin...Profile_Manager

Kamal Pasha

Kamal Pasha

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
I'm sorry I've been out of touch, but I haven't been well.

Things are working fine - and I thank you very much for your patient assistance!

With best regards,

Kamalp

:)