Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Choosing motherboard

• Please log in to reply

peyote

peyote

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
ASUS P5N-E SLI Vs GA-EP43-S3L MB

I was recommened the GA-EP43-S3L MB in another thread but I have noticed a ASUS P5N-E SLI in my local paper VERY cheap, it's half the price of a new GA-EP43-S3L MB but it does not have any cables, driver cd or manual but I have been assured it works so it's not a problem. I am planning on buying a E7300 and I am wondering if a ASUS P5N-E SLI would be suitable for my upgrade and what is the pros and cons between the two, apart from the pre-owned ASUS P5N-E SLI not having any cables, drivers cd or manual (this going to be a problem ???) ?

I am trying to keep the cost of my upgrade as low as possible and I think the pre-owned ASUS P5N-E SLI could help me do this if it suits my upgrade so any advice welcome.

Edited by peyote, 23 April 2009 - 01:54 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The Asus will be second-hand. If you want it, have it but if it dies in three weeks time that's it. If the Gigabyte board dies in three weeks time it'll be under warranty. The Asus won't.

With regards to its suitability for an upgrade, without knowing what you're upgrading from it's kind of hard to say.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Motherboard specs
CPU Socket Type LGA 775
CPU Type Intel Socket 775 Core™2 Quad/Pentium® Extreme/Pentium® D/Pentium® 4/Celeron Processors

E7300 Specs

CPU Socket Type
CPU Socket Type LGA 775

Looks like a match to me and it should be compatible.

To look at the complete specs on the motherboard go Here
For cpu specs go Here

peyote

peyote

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Well at the moment I have the following:

Vista Basic
CPU: Pentium D 820
GPU: XFX9800GT
Motherboard: Standard Fujitsu siemans Scaleo P
HD: Sata 150GB
PSU: Antrix 650W
RAM: 2 x 512MB 1x 2GB (not sure of the speed, frequency, etc)

I will be upgrading the motherboard to one of the one in my first post and I will be replacing my Pentium D for a Intel core 2 duo E7300.

rshaffer61, "Looks like a match to me and it should be compatible" is that the ASUS P5N-E SLI your talking about ?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
" is that the ASUS P5N-E SLI your talking about ? "
Yes this is the one I researched for you.
If you don't know what type of memory

Please download CPUz from my signature below

1: Save it to your desktop.
2: Click on the icon it creates and let it run
3: I need two bits of information from it. First click on the Mainboard tab at the top of the window and give me Manufacturer and Model number it shows>>>> skip this step
4: Second click on the Memory tab and give me the Type and Size of memory it shows.

peyote

peyote

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Thanks :) Thanks for the link to newegg aswell, ASUS P5N-E SLI looks good so far not too many complaints.

Mainboard:

Fujitsu Siemans
P5LD2-FM-DH-VP

Memory:

DDR2 3584 MBytes

DRAM Freq 266.7 MHz

Edited by peyote, 23 April 2009 - 05:16 PM.

peyote

peyote

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Sorry I will post individual specs of ram sticks, didn't know I could view that .. 1 min

peyote

peyote

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
25070858.jpg

25079095.jpg

peyote

peyote

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
25084773.jpg

I actually have .5 GB more ram than I thought.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK need one more bit of info from CPUz
click the tab marked SPD amd let me know what the Max Bandwidth says
I'm trying to make sure your existing memory will work. Look Here to see why I'm asking. It should be PC2 6400

Advertisements

peyote

peyote

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
From my screen shots you can see all my speed, type and size are different .... is this bad ? Haven't had any issues that im aware of.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
HERE is the specs on memory the mb will take.

4 x DIMM, Max. 8 GB, DDR2 800/667/533 Non-ECC,Un-buffered Memory
Dual Channel memory architecture
*When installing total memory of 4GB capacity or more, Windows 32-bit operation system may only recognize less than 3GB. Hence, a total installed memory of less than 3GB is recommended.
As you can see it doesn't support your memory. The problem isn't that your memory has a problem. The issue is that the new mb needs faster memory.
Tigerdirect memory 2 gig sticks are HERE 50 to 80 for 4 gigs

Newegg memory 2 gig sticks are HERE 34.00 for 4 gigs

Newegg seems like the better price.

peyote

peyote

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
I though I might need new RAM, Thanks for the help.

Just so im 100% clear, this is the ram need for the ASUS board as this will probaly be the one I go for as im on a budget ? Out of 800/667/533 - 800 is the better spec to go for, yes ?

My final question is, as the ASUS come with zero cables can I use my old cables form my motherboard I have now ? I looked at what cables you get form a new mobo form newegg and they look like the cables I have now such as the sata cable and "big, wide, main strip cable" if you know what I mean. I don't need a SLI cable as I don't plan to run two cards.

Thanks again for your help and your time.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Just so im 100% clear, this is the ram need for the ASUS board as this will probaly be the one I go for as im on a budget ? Out of 800/667/533 - 800 is the better spec to go for, yes ?

ASUS P5N-E SLI >>> This is what I based everything off of that I have quoted you.
800 is the best speed for that mb>>> you are correct in this

My final question is, as the ASUS come with zero cables can I use my old cables form my motherboard I have now ? I looked at what cables you get form a new mobo form newegg and they look like the cables I have now such as the sata cable and "big, wide, main strip cable" if you know what I mean. I don't need a SLI cable as I don't plan to run two cards.

The cables you have will work. The SLI you are references has to do with being able to put 2 video cards in the system at the same time and be able to utilize the memory from both at the same time. Great for gaming but it takes a special connector to make the cards work together and that usually will come with the card itself.

peyote

peyote

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Thanks for the help rshaffer61, im just about to leave to get the ASUS P5N-E SLI :) Decided im on a budget so the pre-owned cheaper one is better.

When I purchased my computer about 2 years ago it came with vista basic already installed and also a CD so I could reinstall vista if I wanted to wipe my HD but it's a 32 bit and if im correct this ASUS P5N-E SLI supports 64 bit. I know 32 bit only supports upto 3GB Ram but I want at least 4GB so I will have to upgrade to 64bit but will my OEM Vista CD allow me to install the 64 bit version ?