Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

couple of formatting questions for vista

• Please log in to reply

brearc

brearc

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Alright, so my laptop which i bought from a Best Buy was pre loaded with Window Vista, and i did not create a recovery disc in the begining.

Recently my computer has been messing up quite alot, the list of problems is pretty long, Ive gone through the whole hijack this log and getting help on this site to try and remove malware, and virsues, etc etc.

but nothing has improved. my vista is totally messed up, so im guessing a format and reinstall is probably a good idea on cleaning up my system.

whether that is or not, i was wondering, since i dont have a vista disc and didnt create a recovery disc in the beginning, how would i go about recovering/formatting my system to start over fresh? can i still create a recovery disc to do the format?

or should i just take it somewhere to an expert?

thanks for any help!!

Advertisements

fixitout

fixitout

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I would recommend and advise you to go for System Restore first.

If the problem is started from a couple of week. Then it is a better option to go for System Restore.

Moreover, removal of unused application and games might be helpful.

However, you may go and try this links for more info about Reinstall:

http://www.windowsvi...sreinstall.com/

http://www.vistax64....tall-vista.html

Thanks for posting the problem and further comments

brearc

brearc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
yeah i forgot to mention, all these problems started over a month ago, so i cant do a system restore. and again i dont have the original vista disc, was not included when i purchased the pre installed laptop and i did not create a recovery disc when i first started the laptop up.

Edited by brearc, 23 April 2009 - 03:12 PM.

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
Create the recovery disks immediately. It'll cost you less than ordering them from the manufacturer of the computer.
Then you'll have them if you need them (and some systems require that you use them to access the recovery partition).

If the system is so messed up that you can't make the recovery disks, then your only alternative is to contact the PC manufacturer and request a set of restore disks. Some manufacturer's provide them for free, some will require a small fee to ship them out to you.