Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Motherboard for 4x i7 (LGA 1366)

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm building myself a second computer now that I have some disposable cash. I'm looking for something that can serve as my media centre and downloading "server" (handles Newzbin, etc, and thus does a ton of par2/unrar work - i.e. number crunching).

I'm new to *building* computers, everything I've used before has been pre-built. So, any help is appreciated.

I've got a laundry list of requirements/wishes, that I'm not really sure I can find in a single motherboard, hence why I'm here.

I am absolutely sure that I need at least two LGA 1366 CPU slots, preferably 4 (if such a thing exists!) for Nehalem Xeons or i7s (I'm still not sure which, I don't really understand the difference). I need to fit at least 8GBs of DDR3 in there, slots for more would be great. I'd love at least 2 16x PCI slots for ATI Radeon HD 4890s (so I can CrossFire them), though only one is acceptable if a motherboard with 2 can't be found. Finally, I want SAS instead of SATA, for some 15k drives (and possibly an onboard RAID chip, which would save me a PCI slot).

So far, I've only found this: http://tr.im/jz4N?newegg unfortunately, it's low on PCI cards - and has no onboard audio or WiFi, so there goes one or two of my PCI slots. It's SATA instead of SAS and no hardware RAID, so there goes another PCI slot (to a hardware RAID card). Only has 2 USB ports, which is really, really restrictive.

I would have just gone with this one, except that I've got the PCI slot problem: with a double-wide Geforce, I've only got two PCI slots left, and I really want three at least: sound card (since it has no onboard), RAID card (again, no onboard), and wifi card (and, yet again, missing onboard). I'd also like another slot empty, I'm going to want a FW3200 / USB 3.0 board as soon as one's available d-: