Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Intel SSD, write speed only 110MB/sec

• Please log in to reply

XPS M2010

XPS M2010

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I have a Dell laptop XPS M 2010 and just bought a Intel SSD.
The write speed should be 250MB/sec and I'm only getting 110-115MB/sec. Spent many hours with Intel tech support and they don't know. This is my second SSD from Intel because I thought the first one wasn't working properly, the new one they sent, same thing. Dell says the XPX M 2010 supports 250MB/sec, the chipset I have is: Mobile Intel® 945GM/GMS/940GML Express Chipsets or Intel® 945GT Express Chipset. Any help would be highly appreciated. My e-mail address is: Speed checked with HD Tune
Do have the latest drivers

Advertisements

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
Seems normal.

Usually premium SSDs get UP TO 250 MB/s. I find most people get 70-115 MB/s. This is just a manageable level for basic SSDs!

XPS M2010

XPS M2010

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thank you for your response. If it is normal, wouldn't Intel tech support not mention it?
I get 80MB/sec on my second drive, which is a WD for storage.
Thank you, Bo

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
I am not sure why Intel would not know...I guess Geeks to Go is smarter than them :) (tech support team that is).

The writing speed will vary, especially when running Windows Vista.

I have noticed my hard drive (normal SATA) running at a very fast write speed when the processor is idle, yet will write slower when multiple programs run. It is Microsoft's way of managing speed and stability in your Operating System.

I believe also for Windows XP SP2 users, got an update for speed and stability management -- when Service Pack 3 came out.

XPS M2010

XPS M2010

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thank you, Jay. I still don't get it. The speed only varies between 110-115MB/sec, when using HD Tune. I was also reading at Newegg (customer reviews for the Intel SSD) that almost everybody has blinding speeds on their laptops. It almost seems that I'm the only one who does not get 250MB/sec. Very frustrating. Thank you, Bo

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
IMHO, Newegg reviews are worthless. People will lie, and you will have to know that. Just because one user rates a product a 1 star...there might be someone else that gives it 5 stars. Newegg reviews are disappointing.

In HDTune, make sure you are verifying the information relative to the database. Read this.

I do not think HDTune is needed, but that is my opinion.

Worth reading
, IMO.

XPS M2010

XPS M2010

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Jay, very interesting reading. And thank you so much for your help.I attached three screen shots. My burst rate does not look good. And looking in the device manager I see the SSD on channel 0 and the target id of the CDrom is also on channel 0, not sure if that means anything. The computer is runningin no RAID mode. Thank you, Bo

Attached Thumbnails

• ATAchannels.jpg
  • NoRaid119.9.jpg
  • WD_NoRaid.jpg

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
Seeing the DEV charts, it looks normal. Try starting in safe mode and testing it using HDTune. Not sure if it will work, but try it out and see what results appear.

When certain services are enabled, especially Direct Memory Access, Windows cannot access data when it is moving that fast. Data stream is slowed down so it can be read properly. Saved good data is better than corrupted data. File corruption is not good.

XPS M2010

XPS M2010

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Jay, thank you for your time. In safe mode not much changes: Min. 91.4MB/sec, Max. 123.5MB/sec, Access Time 0.1 ms, Burst Rate 71.9MB/sec.
In Bios I have the following choices:
RAID Autodetect/ATA
RAID On-SATA is configured on every boot
I'm confused with ATA and SATA, but I tryed both settings and the results are the same.
Another thing I noticed, I changed my processor two weeks ago from a 2.0GHz to a 2.33GHz. In the device manager it still shows the 2.0GHz, don't know if it's important, but I noticed it. Every other program shows the 2.33GHz processor.
In safe mode the reading speed went up a little bit, so I'm still hoping it's some kind of setting that I can't figure out. I attached the "disk thruput tester" picture.
Thank you for your time, Bo

Attached Thumbnails

• DiskThruput.jpg

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
Do you have all the Windows updates for your computer?

You might be missing one that improves the stability and performance of Windows Vista!

Please check for updates.

Advertisements

XPS M2010

XPS M2010

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Jay, yes all the updates. If I go to the Windows update page it says: No newer updates available for your computer. Thank you, Bo

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
Do you have the drive connected as primary and as the only drive on the system? Reduced speeds can also occur if multiple internal storage drives are installed.

XPS M2010

XPS M2010

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Jay, thank you that you are still taking the time to think about my problem. Yes, I also had the SSD as only drive connected, same results. I'm still confused that my device manager does not show my new processor, not that would solve the problem but still it's weird. I still hope that it's just a setting that I have not figured out yet. Thank you, Bo

XPS M2010

XPS M2010

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I did some tests with Disk Thruput.

Attached Thumbnails

• DiskThruput.jpg

XPS M2010

XPS M2010

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Here is another one with Crystal Disk Mark.

Attached Thumbnails

• CrystalDiskMark.jpg
  • CrystalDiskMark1.jpg