Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Flashing Underscore no boot.

• Please log in to reply

Trox88

Trox88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I'd like to resolve the problem still yes, running 10gig isnt my idea of fun =P. The other 2 HDD's i have are a 60, and 120gig HDD. Those are the 2 that failed to boot and got hung. The problem started after first connecting the 2 drives via master slave. The question is running my 60 as slave to the 120 would that in a sense overclock it and cause a short? If not then i'd like to try and hook up one or both the drives but not at the same time that way we can keep the system up and running without having another crash, and resolve the problems to my HDD's. So in your opinion what would be the best route to take to reinstall the hardware, and be able to run it without the hang?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The setup you suggest will work. Did you change the jumpers on the back of the two drives?
One has to be set as master and the other to slave. When you hook them to the ribbon then the master goes on the end and the slave goes in the middle. the other side is connected to the mb.
Also the 60 gig will only transfer at its maximum speed and in turn the 120 can only access at the slower speed.
If I'm understanding you correctly then you want to take out the 10 gig completely and make the 120 the master OS drive?

Trox88

Trox88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Yeah, I'd like to be able to swap out this 10gig for my 120/60gig combo for 180gigs total. My only problem is the HDD's if i install it thru the slave so that the master boot record off my 10gig will run windows so that way we can troubleshoot the slave HDD and eventually do a complete swap.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please download HDclone and install it.
Hook the drive you want to make the new master up to the second IDE controller by itself. This is only temporary as it will change when we are all done
Start HDclone and pick your source drive(C drive you have now)
Then pick your target drive(the drive you want to become master)
Start the program and just sit back. When it's done then you should be able to put the new drive where the 10 gig drive is now and have it up and running with no loss of data.
The one issue I would suggest before you do the above instructions is to make sure the new drive is partitioned and formatted as one partition. If the HDclone changes it then we can fix the problem later.
After the clone has finished then take the old 10 gig out as described above and let me know if the system boots normally with the new hd as the OS drive.

Trox88

Trox88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Ok, sorry for the pause there R. I got HDClone downloaded, i also have my 120gig hooked up as a slave now =) and im running off of the 10 gig. Started the HDClone. Problem i get is after i click next it goes into its scan and either hangs scanning or it gives me a blank blue page. But the good news is my HDD is responding still =).

Trox88

Trox88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Ok so next update. Had to make a bootable cd for HDclone to work on my Drives. It finished and i shut down the computer and swapped the 10gig for the 60 gig to be slave to the 120gig (the one copied from the 10gig) Master. But it still fails to boot and hangs at the blinking underscore.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It was booting before as you stated in your previous post. When you hooked up the second drive it now will not boot?

Trox88

Trox88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Ya it would boot 10Gig Master to 120Gig Slave, After the HDclone from the 10 to 120 i tried installing the 120 as Master and it wouldnt boot from the drive even if it was copied from the working HD. I did some further research into it. My 120 Gig is a Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 or as its listed in my Bios/Boot ST3160212A.

On a different note, i tried Seatools for any Firmware updates. Failed to work, Kept getting an error during its scan for my drive "void throwexceptionforhrinternal (int23,intptr)" So i gave up on that and went looking around. I cannot defrag, run a disc scan, or format this drive. I'm starting to think shes shot, but i can still save to the disc and HDclone had no errors found after the transfer. =( Hopefully this still can be resolved hate to have reduced my memory vs expand it.

Edited by Trox88, 28 April 2009 - 10:33 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I know this may seem silly but did you by chance set the jumper on the back of the Seagate for a master. It ill also make a difference if the seagate is a master by itself or a master with a slave drive on the same ribbon. Let me know

Trox88

Trox88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
@R I'll list the different set ups i've tried as of late.

-Fujitsu MPE3102AH-B3 10.1GB (Master) -> Seagate ST3160212A 160GB (Slave)
* Runs fine off of this set up. Still can't defrag/chkdsk/or format on windows to either drive. Occasionally crashs and restarts computer.

-Seagate (master) alone does boot 1/5 times after unhooking all ribbons and letting it sit for a minute. Gets to log on but freezes at my desktop with no icons or start menu then logs me off. (Ran Chkdsk thru the windows cd found a couple errors so i ran it again just to make sure. Ran Fixboot and FixMbr then tried to restart no difference found just hangs at desktop.)

-Fujitsu 10GB (Master) -> Samsung Sv0602H 60gig (Slave)
*Currently running this, boots fine still cant defrag/dskchk/format from windows.

and lastly tried the 120Gig Master to the 10gig to boot off of, no luck hangs at bios screen.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
My suggestion is to put the 120 in as this is the one you want to be master if I'm correct? Please turn system off and put only the 120 in the system as a stand alone hd. Put win xp cd in the cdrom drive and reboot. Lets try a repair installation on the 120.

At the first post screen start tapping the Del key to enter system bios
Find the Advance Options or Boot Sequence screen
You will need to change the boot sequence so that the cdrom is first and the hd is second
Press F10 to save and exit, press ok to accept
The system will now reboot

When the "Press any key to boot from CD" message is displayed on your screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.

When you see the following message displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen, press ENTER:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

At this point an option to press R to enter the Recovery Console is displayed. Do not select this option.

On the Windows XP Licensing Agreement screen, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.

Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected in the box, and then press the R key to repair Windows XP.

Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.

Edited by rshaffer61, 29 April 2009 - 12:19 PM.

Trox88

Trox88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
So heres the update to the 120GB drive. I ran Windows xp as asked computer restarted and finished the installation =), i get to the log on screen i tried Admin/User accounts only problem is it logs me on to a teal screen for a second then logs me right off? But the HD is responding and i can start in Safe now. Tried to log on in Safe no luck logs off as soon as i click the account to log onto.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Well there has got to be something really mixed up since the repair couldn't fix it.
At this point I think you need to just format it. Then install windows clean and make sure it will boot correctly after a few restarts. If so then we can proceed with further steps if needed.

Edited by rshaffer61, 29 April 2009 - 02:59 PM.

Trox88

Trox88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
@R, Your solution worked. I tried it before it didnt change a thing. This time when i reinstalled i could get in =). So now both drives i wanted are installed and working perfect. I noticed a little rattle in my HD so i flipped it around a couple times and it read the HD right and booted. The case is shut for now lets hope i wont have to seek out more assistance. Thanks again for all your help.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
:) :) :) :) :no: :)
You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed me to assist you with your issue and for your patience. Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help.
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible