Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP PLEASE! LiveKernelEvent problem in my new computer

• Please log in to reply

petermat

petermat

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Please!!!! help me
I'm from Paraguay and a friend bought me a computer in the us, just a few weeks ago, it's a Toshiba Satellite L305D-S5934 and from the beginning I've been having some problems, whenever something seems to be "too much" for it to handle, like installing programs whit other windows open, or like using google earth, it just goes black, and in order to turn it off I have to keep the power button pressed, or while watching a video, everything frizzes but the sound go on.
Some times the system recognizes that there have been an error, but in the majority of times it doesn't, checking the "Problem Reports and Solutions" I've come up whit this information that I hope might be useful for you to help me!
I would really appreciate that someone would give a hint or something, since there's not really somewhere to ask for the warranty recognition here =/

Description
A problem with your video hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 15370

Files that help describe the problem (some files may no longer be available)
WD-20090422-1529.dmp
sysdata.xml
Version.txt

View a temporary copy of these files
Warning: If a virus or other security threat caused the problem, opening a copy of the files could harm your computer.

Extra information about the problem
BCCode: 117
BCP1: 847AC008
BCP2: 8D229B06
BCP3: 00000000
BCP4: 00000000
OS Version: 6_0_6001
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 768_1
Server information: 8a59e426-bc28-4187-be40-30eafeea08b9

I've seen that sometimes the minidumps files are requested! but I can't upload them cause I don´t know how to zip them! =/

hope you can help anyways...

thanks in advance! =)

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Is the computer still under warranty?

Navigate to: C:\Windows\Minidump folder.
If you see any .dmp files, zip all of them, and attach zipped file to your next reply.

To zip a file...
Download, and install 7-zip: http://www.7-zip.org/
Right click on a file, you want to zip.
Click 7-zip, then Add to archive.
Click on drop-down menu, next to Archive format, and select zip format.
Click OK.
You'll find zipped file (.zip extension) in the same folder as the original file.

petermat

petermat

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
It's supposed to have a one year warranty, and it was bought on 04/03/09 so yes, it's still under warranty, but I'm in Paraguay and I doubt the warranty would work for something here =/

thanks for the zip instructions!

Attached Files

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Well, Toshiba's warranty should work worldwide.

Both errors come from atikmdag.sys, which is part of your video driver.
You may try to reinstall video driver, but....
I asked you about the warranty, because those Toshibas 305 series have a history of failing motherboards.

petermat

petermat

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
thanks!

so you think these case might be one of those whit the mother board issue?

there's one place listed on the Toshiba website that's supposed to recognize the warranty...
I guess I'll have to check that out on Monday or something!

my video driver is ATI Radeon 3100 Graphics

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I'm not saying, it is motherboard problem. I just wanted you to be aware of that possibility.

there's one place listed on the Toshiba website that's supposed to recognize the warranty...

In Paraguay, right?

As for the video driver, because it's laptop, the best place to get fresh driver is Toshiba's site itself.

petermat

petermat

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Yes! I meant that there's one place in Paraguay...

Then I'll try to download the video driver from the Toshiba website, although the driver is "supposedly" up to date....

This hole thing is really frustrating! Having problems being new!

Thanks a lot for you help and time! Really!

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I understand your frustration.

Windows will always tell you, the driver is up to date, as long as it sees correct version, but it won't tell you, if the driver is good, or bad.
What you should try is to download fresh driver form Toshiba's site, uninstall current one, and install fresh one.

In any case, you have to be careful about fiddling with the computer, so you don't void the warranty.

petermat

petermat

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
hello! it's me again! an guess what! I've found out at least what seems to be the source of my problem... I took my laptop to tech support, an they weren't abble to find anything wrong whit it... Actually I trayed the games ang programs that generate crashes and thy worked just fine... so... thy run some tests and gave it back to me whit, acording to them, some new updates...

I was starting to believe that my laptop has a life of its own, I've actually named it so... when I realize that the only difference between the way I ussually use it and give me crashes and the way the tech support tested it was that I use it whit the charger plugged in... and indeed, when it's plugged, it chrusshes... unpluged, works just fine.... any ideas on what's wrong!?

I realize that I made this reply a bit too long! sorry!

thaks a lot...