Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

having problems with computers performance after doing system restore

• Please log in to reply

stardreamer

stardreamer

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hies. This is my 2nd post in geekstogo, and as i remember how great job and help i got from one of your guys i guess it wouldnt hurt to talk to you again. I have done system restore (cant anymore remember why), and i have restored it to a checkpoint that dates 1-2 weeks ago.

Ok, nothing wrong there, but all of a sudden i have been having these really weird problems: freezing, freezing and freezing for no logical reason. I click on some file to open it then i stare at the sandclock for like 1min. I mean, even while i write you this text, it freezes sometimes so that it does not show all the time what i am writing, just to have 4-5s later like 4-5 words popping out. Or, i open up mozilla, and then i dont see the window. I open it again, then check from windows task manager and i see 2 mozillas open, not one. AND i am staring at the WTM to se my CPU usage, System Idle Process is constantly over 90% and it still freezes for no reason! What the heck rly. I have done scans, i have canceled restoration, i have been bashing my head against the wall as i cant even listen to the music properly, not to mention playing games AND listening to the music. Sigh. I honestly hope you can help me in some way.

Edited by stardreamer, 24 April 2009 - 07:20 AM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hello welcome to GeeksToGo, We will be happy to help you.

We will need some more information

If this is a name brand system:
Make
Model
Operating System
Age of the computer
Memory Total
Hard Drive Size, How much free space

If this is custom then We will need the following:

The CPU brand and model
The Motherboard brand and model
Ram amount and speed
Cd\Dvd rom interface IDE/
Hard Drive size and free space
Any cards in PCI slots

In Addition please supply:

Any software installed\updated and driver updates done just before problem started.
Any hardware installed\updated prior to problem starting.

All this will help in determining a course of action to best correct the problem you are experiencing.

stardreamer

stardreamer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hies again...ok here we go:

It is a laptop, not a custom one, bought about 3,5y ago

HP Pavillion 8357ea

Windows XP professional

3,5 years

AMD Turion™ 64 Mobile
Technology ML-37
1.99 GHz, 896 MB of RAM

got like 3 different drives

C has 14,6GB, used space 8,16GB free 6,47GB
D has 93,1 GB, used space 28,6 GB free space 64,5 GB
E has 78,5GB, used space 64,2 GB free spacee 14,2 GB

Some things that have happened in between and that i havent said that could have mattered: i have lost my windows cd key and my cd, as i have moved many times in past 2-3 years. Anyway, after i was unable to reinstall my computer without a cd, my friend has actually gave me his windows cd and cd key (windows xp prof) as he bought new comp that had vista in it, so i could have working comp (not badly defragmentated one or whatever the term is) to eventually play games with and so on. It worked out perfectly, except that some files that were supposed to stay, not to be erased became somehow corrupted. I cant open them, i cant use them, i get error if i click them in any way. They were on drive D, games, pictures and such, so he made drive E for me that i was using. Dunno does i have anything to do with this problem that i am expiriencing. The Windows reinstallation happened like 3-4 months ago and i didnt have any reasons to complain till now.

2nd thing is, i did system restore again as my computer was absolytely jammed, it worked like 3-4x slower than what it should, it is as if i was downloading like 3-4 games same time. Reaction to anything was superslow, but when i restored (again) to the time week before today, it works somewhat normally now. Except my free avira antivir program. It got somehow corrupted when i did that system restore, and now i am unable to reinstall new one or to uninstall it from control panel (as i did before). I have noticed that always when i do system restore my avira antivir stops working so i was always just uninstalling it and reinstalling it again. The problem now apparently is that i cant uninstall it. So now i am like without antivirus program, and i cant reinstall the only one i know it is worth downloading / not fake.

No programs were installed on this computer lately except myb few songs (they were clean 100%, always scanning before i download) and above mentioned avira antivir.

I hope i gave you info you need. If i have missed something, please do tell. Thank you in advance.

Edited by stardreamer, 25 April 2009 - 02:04 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Whew doggy that's allot to digest. Lets work on one thing at a time.
Please undo your last system restore and then reinstall your AV.
Let's see if this will fix that problem first

Also you said your friend gave you his XP Pro with key, since he bought a new system what happened to the system that his XP Pro was installed on?

Edited by rshaffer61, 25 April 2009 - 04:58 PM.