Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

external hd thinks its a removeable disk

• Please log in to reply

YKahn

YKahn

• Pip
  • 3 posts
IN an effort to back up more reliably (and recover from the last crash), I now own a Maxtor 3100 external hard drive (on which my primary HD's ex-files have been moved by the recovery service). Now trying to hook up the external HD for the 1st time, my comptuer insists that it is a "removeable disk" and keeps asking me to insert a disk into this drive! How can I convince the computer to recognize this as a hard drive?

Thank you.

Yoel Kahn
SF, CA

Advertisements

cpc197c

cpc197c

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
The only thing I can think of is to go to Maxtor's Website and see if there are any new drivers for the HDD.

YKahn

YKahn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Update...I plugged the USB into a different USB port; now it identifies it as a local drive but says it can't read because of an I/O error...