Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop Keeps Shutting Off

• Please log in to reply

3ds

3ds

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have an HP Pavilion zt3000 laptop. When you turn it on it shuts off within a few seconds, sometimes longer, but never long enough from me to log in. The fan starts running for a few seconds and then stops, wth the computer shutting down shortly after that. How can I find out if this is a problem with the fan or something else? I can't keep it on long enough to run anything.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The fan you are describing, where is it located?
From your description it sounds like one of the following:
Bad power supply
Bad mb
Bad battery
Either of this problems would have to be addressed by a repair shop. If the laptop is no longer under warranty then you would have to go to a local shop to have it serviced. If under warranty the click Here for HP's contact information page.

gurkiz

gurkiz

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Remove battery and run computer on direct power. What happens then?

3ds

3ds

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I just removed the battery and plugged it in and it now seems to be running fine and is not shutting down. I purchased this battery not too long ago, but not from HP. Guess I should have ordered from them. Thank you!!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did it come with a warranty? If so then call them and get a exchange. Not sure what you meant by "Not long ago"

Edited by rshaffer61, 25 April 2009 - 03:46 PM.