Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell PC Restore vs. reformat/reinstall?

• Please log in to reply

muffintoast

muffintoast

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello all. New here. I have to say you guys are amazing for what you're doing. This site and all of you are a lifesaver!

Anyway, I have a question I think will be quite easy for someone to answer. Not sure if this is the right place to post, but here goes.

I've recently been very badly infected with trojans, rootkits, you name it, and have been advised to reformat my hard drive. I have a Dell XPS 400, running Win XP Media Center (if that matters). What I need to know is: will the Dell PC Restore do the trick, or do I have to do a reformat/reinstall using OS & drivers disks? the restore I am referring to is a hidden recovery partition, not the "system restore" function where you can go back to a prior date.

I've been doing tons of research, and the answers on the web seem to be all across the board. Bottom line: does a Dell PC restore "wipe" the drive clean (meaning viruses, rootkits et al) as well as a reformat/reinstall from cds?

I am hoping to get to the bottom of this today so that I can get my wiping done this weekend. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!!!

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Either way does the job, the restore has everything already done, just run it, it'll wipe the machine and have everything for the bits inside.

muffintoast

muffintoast

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
THANKS!!