Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU fan fail warning?

• Please log in to reply

abone114

abone114

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
so i have had this problem for a couple of years now, i have never fixed it because its nothing more than a minor annoyance. I had to replace my power supply a while back, and when i did i started getting this warning, when i reboot or turn on my computer, i hear the first "beep" like normal but after that screen it goes to another black screen and i get another beep warning that goes "beebeep beep-beep-beep-beep" (two quick beeps and then 4 long ones) and a warning message that says:

"Warning: Your computer CPU fan fail or speed too low*** you can also disable this message in setup"

in order to continue loading windows i have to press F1. it doesnt effect my computers performance one way or another, like i said its just a minor annoyance but its still an annoyance.

what causes this? and where can i go to fix it, which setup is it referring to? does any one know? thanks!

windows xp pro
Asus A-8EV mother board with 4 gigs of ram
power supply 500w

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The setup it refers to is in the Bios or CMOS.
Have you checked the cpu fan to make sure it is turning and not full of dust?
Heat is a major factor in the failure of a system and if the cpu fan is actually not performing as designed then you could potentially cause the cpu to malfunction or worse.
Let me know what your investigation discovers

abone114

abone114

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
well i got this error ever since i installed the cpu fan about 4 years ago... the fan does turn. once i bypass the warning screen by pressing F1, my computer loads windows normally and runs perfectly fine.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Then reboot the system and at post screen tap F8
This will get you into the Bios or Cmos area.Do not change any settings unless instructed to do.
*You will need to find the area that shows the fans. Not knowing what bios you have I can't tell you for sure.
Check and see if there is a Power area. There should be a line that says something to the affect about disabling fan error message. Highlight that and look at the bottom of the screen for directions on how to change the entry to disabled.
Once that is done then click F10 to save and exit. You will be prompted in the next window to accept again by typing "Y"
CLick Y and the system will reboot and hopefully your message will now not appear anymore. Please let me know if this works.

abone114

abone114

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
ah ok great! i'll give that a shot, im at work right now so i cant check until i get home, but i will post an update later on, thanks for the help!

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I have had the same error message on my personal system I built in 2002...ASUS P4C800-E DELUXE with a P4.3.0 NORTHWOOD CORE overclocked to 3.9 for about 6months but I backed it down 3.6 GHZ and ran it that speed for the next 6 years and counting...it still runs great...I want to keep it going to about 6 more months so I can build a new system using A core i7 940 with X58 Chipset AND WINDOWS 7...
IN SHORT ..turning off the error message in the BIOS is not going to hurt anything

Edited by happyrock, 24 April 2009 - 05:49 PM.

abone114

abone114

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
oh you have an ASUS as well, must be an ASUS thing. yeah im doing the same, waiting on windows 7, then its time for a new one!... any word on the release yet?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hmm strange as I have a Asus mb also and I have never seen this error. I can hardly wait for Windows 7. I believe it is due to be out by spring of 2010, if not late this year.

Edited by rshaffer61, 24 April 2009 - 06:01 PM.

abone114

abone114

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
ah, well then that's plenty of time for me to save up for a monster machine! haha

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Windows 7 is worth the wait... :)

You can turn off the warning in the BIOS setup...under the Power heading > Hardware Monitor > CPU Fan Speed.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
GTG has a forum for just system builds and suggestions. The members there can help you out alot with your system needs. GTG techs also can help with questions about compatibility with the system components if you need it.
Well I was almost in the right spot Wannabe1. :)

Edited by rshaffer61, 24 April 2009 - 06:41 PM.

abone114

abone114

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
oh great!! thanks, i'll need help for sure haha

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
last I heard Windows 7 will be released in the 3Q of this year...got my fingers crossed...prices on all the components I want should drop by then too..
although I'm tempted to get some RAM right now...I could get 6 GB DDR3 (3x2GB) for less than $100.00...I paid almost that much for a single stick of 512MB ddr 400 (pc3200) when I built mine but just about a month ago I bought 2 X 1 GB sticks of DDR400 for $76.00 including shipping...
probably the only thing in the world that costs less now is computer components.. :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
This will really get you Happyrock
"Corsair Dual Channel XMS2 4096MB PC8500 DDR2 1066MHz Memory (2 x 2048MB)" $90.00 plus shipping

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
For $2 more you could have This. :)