Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to use Cipher on command prompt?

• Please log in to reply

Anonymous1337

Anonymous1337

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
I know that files are not permanently deleted, and I'm getting ticked because despite having so much space on my C drive, my computer just is acting too slow, so I want to know how to permanently get rid of files.

So let's say I have a folder on the desktop named abc and inside, there is a file called zoolander.mpg
What would I type in the command prompt to get rid of it using Cipher (I THINK it does a perma delete, please help me clarify)

Thank you in advanced~

Advertisements

Onaipian

Onaipian

Notepad warrior

• Retired Staff
  • 2,130 posts
You are correct. Windows does not actually delete files, however they get overwritten eventually.

Here is a Microsoft Knowledge Base, on how to properly use it. It's pretty straightforward, but a techie here might be able to assist you if you need help.

Using your example, I believe it would look like this:
cipher /w:C:\Documents and Settings\%USERNAME%\Desktop\abc

It doesn't permanently delete something, it overwrites already deleted files; clearing already free space...

Anyways, I don't believe space is the issue. How much RAM do you have installed? 512mb is minimum for XP. 1gb is great.

If I were you, I would leave the files be.. I don't think their doing any harm.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
http://www.pcworld.c...escription.html
You could use Cipher, or this free utility. It will make sure that your file is overwritten so well, that it is beyond recovery.

Anonymous1337

Anonymous1337

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
So windows eventually automatically overwrites files to the point you can't recover them?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please download CPUz from my signature below

1: Save it to your desktop.
2: Click on the icon it creates and let it run
3: I need the following information from it.
4: First click on the Mainboard tab at the top of the window and give me Manufacturer and Model number it shows
5: Cllick on the Memory tab and give me the Type and Size of memory it shows.
6: Click on the SPD tab and get me the Max Bandwidth line information.

Lets take a look at the hard drive and see what you have.

Go to
1: Start
2: My Computer
3: Right Click on "C" drive
4: Click on Properties
5: In this field it will tell you total drive space and also free space

Please include results in your next reply

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

So windows eventually automatically overwrites files to the point you can't recover them?

Over time, data is written to where the original file was. This data will make the file much harder to recover over time. Once a file is deleted, Windows will overwrite it once, but most recovery programs will be able to find traces of the file and put the back together. With time though, more data is written over the file you want to recover, and those pieces are harder to find and piece together.

Anonymous1337

Anonymous1337

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
Model: 0CG815
Type: DDR2
Size: 1024 MBytes
Max Bandwidth: PC2-3200 (200 MHz)

Total Drive Space: 74.4 GB
Free Drive Space: 54.0 GB