Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

HELP! Stalling Computer

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm having some problems with my P4 computer- but here are the specs

IBM ThinkCentre S Series 8183-NUT
P4 3.0Ghz Processor, 1GB DDR
ATI Radeon S9250 256MB (PCI)

There are only two PCI Cards on this computer- no AGP :)

First, it seems that 4 out of the 8 usb slots are non-functional (not even a trickle of power). I never tested all of them and just realized this a year after I purchased the computer. This might be a small part of the big picture.

My computer crashes from time to time when I play certain games.

I tried Wolfenstein ET on my pc (which runs on the laptop I've owned for 5 years perfectly) and it hangs on the very first screen (where you enter your details). The background is animated and the sound is fine, but the mouse lags and after a minute, it stops moving. It did this before I installed my GPU and after as well.

I have no clue what the problem could be. I should have enough ram because my laptop is running at 768MB and the game runs fine.

I have also used programs like ccleaner and adaware (and speedfan) to make sure my system is clean of any malware. I don't know if Malware could be the culprit here, but I think it may be a hardware issue.... or my ram (2 x 512MB) is just not as fast as it could be.

Any suggestions? I've uninstalled Wolfenstein but I don't think I'll be trying it again (it takes too long to install). Other games that seem to hang are Second Life, Warrock, etc.

Just one more edit-
I have a listing of my temps (in C)

Idle temps-

Game temps (when using certain games)
Remote 1: 65C - 71C
Ambient: 44C
Remote 2: 37C
Remote 3: 67C - 68C
HD: 51C

I use speedfan to monitor my temps and fan settings, but I seem to be at a loss to control my fan speeds. If anyone has expertise in this that would help a lot. It seems that the fans could go on a little more often if possible.

Edited by kagerou313, 25 April 2009 - 08:25 PM.