Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

recover files

• Please log in to reply

bloodsworld

bloodsworld

• PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
ok so i did a pc recovery on my laptop because it crashed and i was wondering if my files before i did the recovery are still on this computer but hiding somewhere?? because before i did the recovery my computer had about 8-9 gigs of space remaining and after the recovery it still has the same amount so that means that the files are still somewhere correct?? the files in the MY COMPUTER folder are still there but i had a lot of files on my desktop and the MY DOCUMENTS folder..where do they go??? any help??

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
I think the My Documents folder is cleared out when your recover. The Desktop folder is in the My Documents folder. What recovery did you do? A repair install of Windows, or recovery from a recovery partition?

bloodsworld

bloodsworld

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
i believe from a recovery partion. i found how to use the recovery that came on the computer

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
What is the make and model of your computer?
Did you have more or equal to 1 gig of stuff in your my documents folder?

bloodsworld

bloodsworld

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
i have a hp pavillion dv5000
and i prob had over a gig of stuff... now im trying to use my disk drive and its not even showin up on my computer as bein installed...i go to MY COMPUTER and my disk drive isnt showing... im just having so many problems lol

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
http://h10025.www1.h...ocname=bph07145
Doing this recovery may move or remove your files in My Documents

CAUTION: Performing a Destructive Recovery will format the hard drive. This will delete all the information on the hard drive and reinstall Windows XP and the original software that came with the computer.Performing a System Recovery replaces system files and original software with the files that originally came with the computer. This process might move or remove certain files, like those stored in My Documents. Before performing a System Recovery backup important files and the files stored in the My Documents folder.In either case, be prepared to reinstall software that was not originally included with the computer. You will also need to reconfigure an Internet Connection and obtain all critical Windows Updates, Virus definition updates, and anti-spyware updates.

Download Seatools for Windows: http://www.seagate.c...000dd04090aRCRD
Install it and run the diagnostic on your internal drive.

now im trying to use my disk drive and its not even showin up on my computer as bein installed

External or internal drive. Also tell me the make and model.