Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Power Supply?

• Please log in to reply

Shirleyj

Shirleyj

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi
I have a AMD Athlon™ XP 2000 Model K7VM3. Last December it was acting erratically ie turning itself off after 5-10 minutes. I took it to the IT guy from work which is who I bought it) and he told me it had a bad reputation of having power supply problems (nice to tell me now). He installed a "new?" power supply and it worked fine for 4 months when the power supply again failed. Is this normal does this mean this computer will need a new power supply every 4 months? I am new on this forum, I have loked for someone else with this issue and can't find it. I am hoping for some advice.
Thanks in advance.
Shirley

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
First what kind of PSu did you get?
A PSU should last a lot longer then 4 months.
Please reply with some details about system:

The CPU brand and model AMD Athlon XP 2000
The Motherboard brand and model K7VM3 Asrock?
Ram amount and speed
Cd\Dvd rom interface IDE/
Hard Drive size and free space
Any cards in PCI slots

Shirleyj

Shirleyj

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

First what kind of PSu did you get?
A PSU should last a lot longer then 4 months.
Please reply with some details about system:

The CPU brand and model AMD Athlon XP 2000
The Motherboard brand and model K7VM3 Asrock?
Ram amount and speed
Cd\Dvd rom interface IDE/
Hard Drive size and free space
Any cards in PCI slots

The PSU I received was a AG 420W 12V Intel P4 ATX Power supply
CPU Version was Vx86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 1
Ram amount was increased when they replaced the PSu to 76G with 36G free Speed 1665 MHz
No cards

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
76 gig's of ram with 36 gig's free?
That sounds more like hd space.
That PSU seems to have a bad history of failure. If the PSu is still under warranty I would exchange it for something more reliable. Look Here at a OCZ PSU. The reviews on Newegg say it is really reliable. Not sure what your budget is like but after the last two PSU problems I would suggest going to OCZ as I have seen allot of great customer reviews on their line.
Please let me know if I can assist you in any way in finding another PSU if this is to high for your budget.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I was wondering what you use your computer for? It should be a basis for what wattage of PSU you should chose. How many drives do you have, like HD's cd\dvd?
Do you do games movies, music?
Do you use it for Office applications

I should have asked before suggesting any PSU since this information would help in making a decision