Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP not recognizing External Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply

vertigo-spumante

vertigo-spumante

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
Hello, I have read many other forum topics related and still haven't been able to find a solution.

I use Windows XP. I've had this external hard drive less then a year. It has all my files, music, and games installed on it. My games and music on my desktop are no longer pulling from the EHD. They say the drive can't be found.

I've recently had some virus issues that are now resolved. But, in the meantime, my External Hard Drive stopped working. Every time I turned it on a window would pop up asking what I would like to do with EHD. Usually I say "view Files". Once I chose "Take No Action". since then my EHD has been invisible to my computer.

I have Acomdata 320G USB

*I have looked on the 'Computer Management' to add a new drive and it doesn't see anything plugged in. Maybe I'm not doing something right.

*I've tried downloading the drive software from the website and it says Windows already has a driver installed and won't let me continue the download. I do not have the original CD because of a recent move.

*I've tried all USB ports. None have made a difference

*I've tried turning off the EHD, unplugging, restarting the computer, plugging it back in, then turn it on. Has not worked.

*I've tried seeing if all devices are working properly, and all are stated healthy.

PLEASE HELP!

~VAS

Edited by vertigo-spumante, 25 April 2009 - 08:52 PM.

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Click on "Backup Files Without Windows" in my sig, and see if Ubuntu will recognize your drive.

vertigo-spumante

vertigo-spumante

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Is it necessary to do a 14G installation to find out? My main computer only has 25G on it (hence the external hard drive). After an overnight download it asks me if I want to install it on my c: drive. No option for any other drive. So, so far it doesn't recognize anything.

Is this a necessary software for my computer that I need to download in order to find out? IF so I will as long as I can uninstall it later if I need too. I'm not familiar with this program.
Let me know. Thank you! :)

~VAS

Edited by vertigo-spumante, 30 April 2009 - 07:19 AM.

vertigo-spumante

vertigo-spumante

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
It asked if I wanted to reboot after install so I did and now I can't find it on my computer. Can you let me know where to find it and what to do once it reboots?

Thank you.
~VAS

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Once you download the file from the website, you have to burn it to a disc. Read "Backup Files Without Windows" to find out the steps for burning that type of disc image.

If you boot from this disc, it will not take up any space on your hard drive.

EDIT: I want you to do this to see if another OS can see your drive. If Ubuntu can, then backup the files on there right away.

Edited by edge2022, 30 April 2009 - 04:41 PM.

vertigo-spumante

vertigo-spumante

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Oh I see, well I don't have a CD burner unfortunately. It's toast. I just have a regular CD player in there for now. :S

~VAS

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
You can still use Ubuntu through Wubi.
http://wubi-installer.org/
This program will install Ubuntu on your hard drive, and allow you to boot into it using the Windows boot loader.
This will require 5GB or hard disk space though.

Once installed, reboot, and choose "Ubuntu" when you get a boot selection screen.

vertigo-spumante

vertigo-spumante

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
I'm not getting a Ubuntu option for booting when I restart. Do I select F8 when it restarts? I tried F10 and it just gives me the option of booting from a disc or Hard Drive C. I'm not clear of where this option is located.

Thank you. :)
~VAS

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
This site should have some pics to help you see how to install and boot into Ubuntu.
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide

You can try booting into Windows. Then, use the hotkey WIN (the key with the windows logo on it) and Pause/Break to bring up the System dialog.
Go to the "Advanced" tab, and select "Settings" in the "Startup and Recovery" box. Tell me what is in the scroll down box labeled "Default Operating System". Also try changing the "Time to Display List of Operating Systems" to something around 15 seconds.

vertigo-spumante

vertigo-spumante

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Ok, so I have it on right now. It runs very slow. I tried looking for the USB connection and no matter where I plug it in it still isn't recognising the EHD. Since this EHD is still new I know it can't be broken or anything.

Do I need to reinstall drivers since none of my other original software isn't showing on Ubantu?

~VAS

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
does your bios see the external drive....

vertigo-spumante

vertigo-spumante

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Ubantu is very unfamiliar to me. SO, I'm not sure how to check my bios. I checked the "Computer" option and it doesn't show up in there no matter which USB port I plug it into.

~VAS

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Can you read and write to other usb flash drives?

For Ubuntu, just try going into GParted and manually mount the drive, with the instructions in the article.

vertigo-spumante

vertigo-spumante

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
I have other items plugged into my USB (itunes MP3 player and Magic JAck Phone adapter) and it notices those in Windows. Ubuntu notices the other USB plug ins as well.

In Windows, when I unplug my EHD it makes a sound so I know it knows something is being plugged in and taken out.

As far as mounting Ubuntu this is the link about Mounting: https://wiki.ubuntu....(drive)|(mount)

If you know of another link I can use to walk me through mounting an EHD step by step in Ubuntu then I'd really appreciate it. :)

I was wondering if there was any other steps I could take in Windows so I don't have to go through all this craziness with an OS I'm unfamiliar with. I don't plan on keeping Ubuntu because of it's unfamiliarity, lack of space I have for 2 OS's, and slow processing and internet speed. I may go back to it at a time when I have time to reinstall or transfer all my stuff.

I really appreciate your help. I'm just not as familiar with the lingo.

~VAS

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
http://www.jarrodgod...-drive-in-linux
Usually, when you plug in an external hard drive, Ubuntu will recognize it, and display it on the desktop.
Read that article and mount your drive.
When you use the mount command, type "sudo" (without the quotes) before the command.