Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP not recognizing External Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

this wouldn't be a problem if people kept their data backed up...
remember this...ANY DATA you don't have at least 2 copies of is data you don't care about...

Very true, and I can't stress this enough. Experiences like this usually encourage people to keep backups because you never know what is going to happen. As for the backup utilities I use, you can use Driveimage XML with UBCD for Windows.
Or you can use Clonezilla.

Advertisements

vertigo-spumante

vertigo-spumante

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Well, the EHD WAS my back up because I had serious viruses on my computer so I backed everything up on the EHD so I could erase everything and restart. So, I thought I did take the necessary precautions...you never really think about backing up the back up...

I'll look up the links and investigate further. Thank s again.

~VAS

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
for the future burn backups to DVD's in addition to the EHD...the dual layer ones hold 8.5 GBs and if you backup weekly you will have lots of dvd's with your data on them..most you could lose then is a weeks worth...

pertsavk

pertsavk

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I take it so that the value of the data on the drive is more than the price of the external disc (you said it was newish and this will void the warranty). Inside the external drive casing there is a normal hard drive, be it an IDE drive or a SATA drive. Remove the casing and install the hard drive in a desktop computer as a normal hard drive. This is the general idea, not the walkthru. When taking the thing apart and installing the hard drive in the desktop ou should know what you are doing (normal computer part cautiousness) and if you don't feel confident enough ask some of your more computer-conscious friends to help you out. This has helped before in cases where the fault lies in the err... hardware needed to make an external drive out of an internal one. Sorry my funny English but it is not my first language.