Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

PC automatically shutting down and restarting again

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

FCCAGut

FCCAGut

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
I finally started using my pc which I haven't used in a couple weeks and about 40 minutes ago it just shutted down without warning about 2 minutes after logging in. I can tell there's a program problem but I can't tell what program it is. I can run in safe mode just fine without a system restart. I tried doing a system restore and whenever I do it it says "Installing updates (2 to 9)" and about 3 seconds later it shuts down and restarts again. Anyone know a fix for this?

Advertisements

FCCAGut

FCCAGut

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
I went through the start up configuration using msconfig and I'm seeing a lot of things I've never seen before like unregmp2, rundll P17 (what's the P17 for?), Updreg, CTRegRun, and dumprep 0 -k. Those are the only ones which I have never heard of and could be causing a problem, I will disable those and see if anything happens.

Edited by FCCAGut, 26 April 2009 - 02:52 AM.

FCCAGut

FCCAGut

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
How do I close topics? I feel so stupid, I knew the answer all along but I couldn't think of it and I just ran a system restore in safe mode and it got rid whatever I installed last and it worked.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

"Installing updates (2 to 9)"

you hadn't used your computer for awhile..that was the problem...as soon as you started using your system...your system was/is set to download and install updates automatically and thats exactly what it was doing...had nothing to do with restore...