Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Can't see external HD

• Please log in to reply

eric302

eric302

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Here's a strange one - I have an HP tx1320us tablet running Vista with all the latest updates. I have this 1TB Fantom GreenDrive external hard drive that was working just fine until a couple of weeks ago. Now, whenever I unplug the drive and then plug it back in (like after I take my laptop somewhere), the drive won't show up in My Computer until I restart the machine. It doesn't matter if I just unplugged the USB cable, if I turn off the drive, or if I use the Safely Remove Hardware option, it will never work the second time I plug it in.

When I plug it in that second time, I hear the "new hardware" sound from Windows, and it even shows up just fine in Device Manager. It also shows up in the Safely Remove Hardware list, as "USB Mass Storage Device" (but with no drive letter after it). It's not there in Disk Management though, so I can't assign it a drive letter, and the only thing that seems different (other than the drive not showing up) is that if I double-click the drive in Device Manager, go to the Volumes tab and click Populate, it says "Volume information for this disk cannot be found."

Any ideas? I'm getting tired of restarting my computer all the time just to listen to some music.

Thanks.

Edited by eric302, 26 April 2009 - 12:28 PM.

Advertisements

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
The first thing to check would be your motherboard/chipset drivers. Download them from the HP website and install them over the current ones. This will most likely fix the issue.

If, as is the case with my MSI motherboard, this doesn't fix it - then some further hardware troubleshooting is indicated.